616 miles on the odometer and our new 2021 Tahoe LT won't start!!!! P1029 error code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ninster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same problem last Saturday. My 2021 Tahoe stopped running and I was unable to put it in neutral. Did not like seeing it dragged up on a roll back. Then bounced off when it arrived at the dealership. Dealer ordered a new fuel pump.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem last Saturday. My 2021 Tahoe stopped running and I was unable to put it in neutral. Did not like seeing it dragged up on a roll back. Then bounced off when it arrived at the dealership. Dealer ordered a new fuel pump.
Would it not go into neutral?

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious…How many miles did you have on it?

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dropped my truck off at service this morning. Service advisor admitted that they have seen many issues with our SUVs. She even said they had new Tahoe's that wouldn't start on the lot! I told her about your situation, but we didn't discuss an actual fix. I don't think she was an actual service advisor, just someone helping check me in.
My service dept told me to keep my 19 Suburban because of all the engine problems. Said the launch of this gen Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban a was far worse than the last gen, which everyone seemingly complained about insistently.

Last edited:

Hobert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My service dept told me to keep my 19 Suburba because of all the engine problems. Said the launch of this gen Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban a was far worse than the last gen, which everyone seemingly complained about insistently.
This is exactly why I bought a 2019 Suburban in December of 2018. Didn't want to be on the bleeding edge of such a radical platform change.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My service dept told me to keep my 19 Suburban because of all the engine problems. Said the launch of this gen Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban a was far worse than the last gen, which everyone seemingly complained about insistently.
GM is using the high profit margins from these vehicles to subsidize development of electric cars. This architecture is being abandoned so later years of this run may never be as dependable as the last generation. Sign of the times I guess.

Ninster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Would it not go into neutral?
The 2021 Tahoe's has a push button transmission. Without the motor running it will not get out of park. The dealership had to order a special tool to put it in neutral. There is a cover under the car that has to be removed in order to use this tool. I am sure that most wrecker drivers are not aware of this issue.

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to revive this after six months, but I am having this problem too. Do you know more about this, the name of the tool or the location of the slot to put the tool into? This is going to be bad getting it out of my garage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01