4 Piston Big Brake Upgrade from 2019-20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
I had stock calipers and rotors on an 03. Had fairly new high friction pads and the brakes still sucked.

Just a note: If you don't feel comfortable with non-standard solutions, like where you have to get washers (huh?) for spacers and
potentially trim washers to fit spindles or shave them to center the caliper over the rotor.....,
Then this upgrade isn't for you.

I'm just restoring an 18 year old Tahoe (which is vintage class) partly in protest of not wanting to paying $85K for a new one. So I'm trying to get as close to the
performance of a new one as possible and still stay within my budget. This brake upgrade is very comparable in cost to replacing with stock level
stop tech calipers, rotors and pads.

I don't know what the 07-14 brake upgrade is. Is that simply bolt on?
I've had an 08 and a 12 Tahoe. Still an ugly 2P caliper and braking performance was nothing to love.
Yes the 07-14 brake upgrade is just what you did.Calipers and rotors from that year tahoe,made a huge difference in braking performance for me from stock.Simple bolt on no shims or washers or grinding or getting new rims.I am interested in anyone with the 07-14 upgrade already on their tahoe and then going to this how much of a difference it makes.The stock brakes on these tahoe and suburbans have to be the worst brakes on any suv in the world total embarrassment for gm.I wonder how many accidents could have been avoided if they had better brakes from the factory-wouldnt of cost much if any more.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well looks like this is panning out to be the ultimate brake upgrade........and it works safely.

Now let those nonbelievers eat that tasty crow

OP
OP
fasteddy

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the 07-14 brake upgrade is just what you did.Calipers and rotors from that year tahoe,made a huge difference in braking performance for me from stock.Simple bolt on no shims or washers or grinding or getting new rims.I am interested in anyone with the 07-14 upgrade already on their tahoe and then going to this how much of a difference it makes.The stock brakes on these tahoe and suburbans have to be the worst brakes on any suv in the world total embarrassment for gm.I wonder how many accidents could have been avoided if they had better brakes from the factory-wouldnt of cost much if any more.

Its great to have multiple options.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There were a few people early in this thread saying this would never work without a custom hydraulic system because the master cylinder wouldn’t work right, the booster wouldn’t work right, and it would need a custom proportioning valve because old race cars. They said the pedal would feel like crap and it wouldn’t work well even with the Wilwood of Brembo kits. Which isn’t the case at all. My brake pedal feels better than it ever has with the Brembo kit.

I might have agreed if this was piecing together random components from various manufacturers trying to make a big brake kit but these are 100% factory parts. Which is why the Brembo and Wilwood kits also work fine because they were designed to work with the rest of the components of the truck.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were a few people early in this thread saying this would never work without a custom hydraulic system because the master cylinder wouldn’t work right, the booster wouldn’t work right, and it would need a custom proportioning valve because old race cars. They said the pedal would feel like crap and it wouldn’t work well even with the Wilwood of Brembo kits. Which isn’t the case at all. My brake pedal feels better than it ever has with the Brembo kit.

I might have agreed if this was piecing together random components from various manufacturers trying to make a big brake kit but these are 100% factory parts. Which is why the Brembo and Wilwood kits also work fine because they were designed to work with the rest of the components of the truck.
Ah. I guess I forgot about those comments because they didn’t hold water in the first place. I’ve been running Wilwoods 16”/14” kits on both my trucks for a long time with amazing results.

mang213

Reaction score
Still waiting on my new rotors and pads, but the new replica Trail Boss wheels and BFG KO2s look fantastic on my 2010 Tahoe. And plenty of extra space between the outer face of the original caliper and the inner face of the wheel hub and spokes, so I'm confident there won't be any clearance issues with the new calipers. Guys, save yourself some trouble if you can afford it and just go with the proper wheels instead of spacers. I got mine which are brand new replicas and they are perfect. $700ish to your door from the seller I got them from. Basically half price of oem wheels. Let me know what you all think of the pics and if want the sellers info from ebay96eadce570a67dd002a2e162397c64ae.jpg8fef200b8c5367c04141ff85c0ae41ca.jpg5d83856ff96d196f995d3d7f61909393.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10