4 Piston Big Brake Upgrade from 2019-20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kermode

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After reading through all the pages I didn't see anyone mention the wheels I have as a trial till Deadbaffy asked and figured this would be a good first post. lol! I have the Texas edition wheels 22x9 with 31 offset and I can confirm they do fit with no mods AT ALL!!!! no shaving, grinding or spacers.
This is the initial mounting and crossing fingers they would fit!!! And yes, those are the NNBS front brakes as I had already done that mod some time ago. That alone was a good improvement over the stock brakes and I am hoping this will be even better. When I did that brake swap it was during shut down and I couldn't find stainless brake lines in stock anywhere and kinda forgot about them. They are new rubber lines at least but they are ordered and on their way and will mount them and bleed the brakes so I get an idea of how the NNBS is with stainless lines first.

I found a guy selling one caliper so I ordered it. and went to Autozone and "borrowed" a rotor for mock up. lol!

Mounted.
20240316_103544.jpg

Pic showing the spacing, 2 washers I had on hand are just a tiny bit too much. probably just order the wilwood shims...
20240316_103531.jpg

The "bar" across the front clears with about a little over a quarter inch of space at the closest part.
20240315_114343.jpg

Clears the hub of the wheel. looks closer than it really is. It's at least a 1/4 inch. changing out that washer will move it back just a smidge more. Also you can see how the "bar" clears the spokes again.
20240316_104002.jpg

I have a line on the rest of the parts to complete everything but waiting on the guy to get back to me today. Hopefully I will be able to get the rest of the parts soon and advise on the braking. My Tahoe also has hydroboost so I will be able to speak on that aspect of the swap as well.

Hope this helps someone and add my wheels to the list of ones that fit!!!
I still have everything just sitting there mocked up till I get the rest of the parts so if you need measurements or anything, let me know!

Attachments

• 20240316_103952.jpg
    20240316_103952.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 4

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it confirmed that these oem 18” wheels will not fit the brakes?

Did anyone try the method 706 wheels in 18x9 +18mm (I have a set of these wheels as well. But they have 35’s on them)

Attachments

• IMG_6772.jpeg
    IMG_6772.jpeg
    342.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3958.jpeg
    IMG_3958.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 5

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pic showing the spacing, 2 washers I had on hand are just a tiny bit too much. probably just order the wilwood shims...
View attachment 423777
For me, the washers are not appropriate, because you can clearly see, that they do not use the full contact surface that the brake caliper would normally have on the holder.

This means that when force is applied, the screws could bend back and forth.

This could cause vibration or worse, bending screws which could eventually break after a while.

I would definitely use washers that use the full contact surface of the brake caliper and the holder, to prevent this tendency.

Kermode

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For me, the washers are not appropriate, because you can clearly see, that they do not use the full contact surface that the brake caliper would normally have on the holder.

This means that when force is applied, the screws could bend back and forth.

This could cause vibration or worse, bending screws which could eventually break after a while.

I would definitely use washers that use the full contact surface of the brake caliper and the holder, to prevent this tendency.
Agreed, and that is why I said I was just using what I had on hand for mock up. All I cared about at this point is, will my wheels fit? they do so now it's on to get the rest of the parts and then install. The wilwood shims would work but I will probably have my buddy just machine a spacer to the right thickness and size. :)

Kermode

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, my install got delayed a couple days...when I was mocking up the brakes the other day, I noticed a little bit of noise starting in the hub bearing so ordered new ones. Unfortunately, Rock Auto sent me what was obviously a return that was defective as the box had about 10 lbs of packing tape TRYING to hold the box together and failing miserably. The bearing barely turns and when it does, it's not smooth and catches randomly on something. returned today and now waiting for the other bearing. Hoping by Sat. But that gives me time to smooth out the caliper a bit as the casting and flash on these are horrific!!! lol

For anyone who has done this brake swap, Did you use the later model dust shields? I noticed they changed from our 3 bolt hubs to 4 so didn't know if anyone tried or if they even fit besides the bolt pattern. Just curious.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone who has done this live in the Bay Area of California?

I’m curious to see if my wheels will fit.

Kermode

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I finally got my replacement hub from rockauto so those parts are on and I used the waiting time to clean up the calipers a bit....My original deal fell through (read, sold them to someone else...hate craigslist sometimes) But found a guy who upgraded to the wilwoods last month and still had his originals in boxes. 20240324_101921.jpg

Didn't go all crazy on them, just a little smoothing and cast flash removal....
20240324_101918.jpg

20240324_101905.jpg

cleaned up and ready for new seals.....
20240327_150518.jpg

Waiting on one more part that should be here friday or Saturday so should have the brakes on this weekend, bled and then test drive!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts