2007 retired Police Tahoe AFM disaster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

buddyhotrod

Reaction score
Cool

Thank you for the information.

From what I understand and from looking at the solenoids on the current AFM valley / intake valley. Looks like the way the motor works is the oil pressure is always there in the valley veins and only when the ECM says to the solenoids "hey close" / time to go into V4 mode only then the oil pressure is cut off to the lifters to collapse them and allow the valves to stay closed allowing the motor to be running on the the remaining live cylinders.
Im going to do some reading on the updated LH valve cover. Not sure what the update is and if I could replicate the update on my own.

Ive thought hard about the complete AFM delete with the cam and new lifters, Ill keep that in mind for sure.

Feel like if I am going to pull the heads and do all of that then the thought of twins comes to mind.

:)

Amazon has a complete twin set up for 2200 dollars.

That would be so cool.

twin 1.jpg

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First you ask if the AFM delete module will affect inspections, now you're planning on a twin-turbo kit? That WILL affect inspections, unless the kit has a CARB cert.

You'd probably be much better off with a DOD-delete kit from a good vendor like Texas Speed, or others. That way, you can set it and forget it, and no one will be the wiser, except for maybe the light lope in the idle. ;-)

blackjack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Y'all,
When my 2008 finally gave up (Even after dealer AFM rebuild), I went with Comp Cam etc..and all LS6 stuff etc.. did heads, bypassed cats, custom tune; all easy in the driveway and truck is dynamite.
The dealer rebuild didn't last 30,000 miles, due to fact that dealer ignored the upgraded TSB fix and PPV Program. (That dealer is gone and not GM's fault lol)
In any event, truck is GREAT that way heading for 300k!
By the way, if anyone is having issues and wants an L77 with fresh beefy rebuilt 6L80 and all computer and elec from my front frame damages personal 2012 PPV 6.0 Caprice, get hold of me.. good swap!
Have fun, gotta go to work...
M

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand and from looking at the solenoids on the current AFM valley / intake valley. Looks like the way the motor works is the oil pressure is always there in the valley veins and only when the ECM says to the solenoids "hey close" / time to go into V4 mode only then the oil pressure is cut off to the lifters to collapse them and allow the valves to stay closed allowing the motor to be running on the the remaining live cylinders.

Go the GM Heritage Center and download the restoration kit for the Tahoe or Suburban. It explains the operation of the AFM system in detail and will complete what you've written about above.

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2012/03/rebuilding-gms-4-8-5-3-and-6-0l-gen-iv-engine/

Go to that link and download the pdf there, lots of good reading too!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...but what is AFM?

AFM aka Active Fuel Management. It's the system by GM that drops the motor into V4 mode to increase fuel economy.

This system is used on the Gen IV and Gen V engines. The latest motors in the new pickups use Dynamic Fuel Management, all of the cylinders have the ability to be shut off in any combination, not just 1, 4, 6 and 7 at the same time.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFM aka Active Fuel Management. It's the system by GM that drops the motor into V4 mode to increase fuel economy.

This system is used on the Gen IV and Gen V engines. The latest motors in the new pickups use Dynamic Fuel Management, all of the cylinders have the ability to be shut off in any combination, not just 1, 4, 6 and 7 at the same time.

Ah.. ok. mine does that, didn't know it was called AFM (2013, GSA/SSV)

Ron

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a used Range Technology AFM Disabler off a seller on Ebay and saved a few bucks and it works fine. I unplug it when it goes in for inspection.

Got really lucky and managed to grab one off a kid local to me the other night. Amazing part - not having that V4/V8 shift really 'transforms' the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd