Let's sift through every square inch of a 2013 Tahoe PPV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Caddylack

Caddylack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it normal for them to be coated like mine?

Mine may be new, since the trans crossmember is.

I still need to call the previous owner (PD) and try to get maintenance records. It would be great if the trans was new, but it's more likely the other stuff was replaced due to a cactus incident or something.

EDIT: Is that a scrape on the bottom of the 3rd cat?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Caddylack

Caddylack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to bring this to attention:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it normal for them to be coated like mine?

Mine may be new, since the trans crossmember is.

I still need to call the previous owner (PD) and try to get maintenance records. It would be great if the trans was new, but it's more likely the other stuff was replaced due to a cactus incident or something.

EDIT: Is that a scrape on the bottom of the 3rd cat?

I was thinking y'all coated everything up there for salt corrosion protection. But, I pieed it together now- it came from AZ and you haven't done anything like that to it yet. With the cross member being new and what looks like a scrape on the cat, you raise a valid point. Maybe it hit something or was high-centered at one point, damaging the cross member and driveshaft. It could be an aftermarket or replacement shaft that was painted.

Lol- "The Arizona Cactus Incident". There's another great indie band name.

OP
OP
Caddylack

Caddylack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking y'all coated everything up there for salt corrosion protection. But, I pieed it together now- it came from AZ and you haven't done anything like that to it yet. With the cross member being new and what looks like a scrape on the cat, you raise a valid point. Maybe it hit something or was high-centered at one point, damaging the cross member and driveshaft. It could be an aftermarket or replacement shaft that was painted.

Lol- "The Arizona Cactus Incident". There's another great indie band name.
Well, I knew from the beginning that the vehicle had been involved in some sort of unreported event...

The very front of one frame rail, right where the push bar would bolt up, is tweaked slightly. The front bumper also has a crack.

The car was repainted sloppily before auction. Then, you have the new crossmember and an apparent scrape on the cat.

I'm not worried about it, but I think it's safe to say there was, well, an accident.

If the driveshaft was replaced, it could be coated, or it could just be new enough that the paint is still intact.

Unrelated: Any leads on performance data for OEM manifolds? Ours don't look very restrictive, and I'm wondering how far I can go with mods before the manifolds are holding me back. Mild cam?

OP
OP
Caddylack

Caddylack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On exhaust... My impression is that the diameter of the stock Y-pipe is plenty for mild engines. It's just those 3 cats that are in the way. I am thinking I will have the cats deleted, and keep the Y-pipe.

The collectors on our stock manifolds look nice, almost like shorty headers. I'm not sure how big the primaries are, though.

My plans for the Tahoe will stay minimal for now, until I get my other projects finished. Routine maintenance will be the focus.

With that said, I figure I should probably at least do the physical DOD delete at some point. I'm considering a mild low-lift cam. We will see.

This morning I was looking at flexible 4" intake tubes, and I had the realization that dryer exhaust tubes are basically the same thing. You can get them black PVC-coated, too. Don't make me do it.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I knew from the beginning that the vehicle had been involved in some sort of unreported event...

The very front of one frame rail, right where the push bar would bolt up, is tweaked slightly. The front bumper also has a crack.

The car was repainted sloppily before auction. Then, you have the new crossmember and an apparent scrape on the cat.

I'm not worried about it, but I think it's safe to say there was, well, an accident.

If the driveshaft was replaced, it could be coated, or it could just be new enough that the paint is still intact.

Unrelated: Any leads on performance data for OEM manifolds? Ours don't look very restrictive, and I'm wondering how far I can go with mods before the manifolds are holding me back. Mild cam?

Stock shafts are bare metal, either aluminum or steel. The surface rust (like on mine) is thin and, once developed, protects it from further corrosion. I've gotten static from you salty yankees about it (probably since it's about the only thing rusty on mine), so I'll do something about it. A little sumpin' fo da h8tahz.

I don't have any actual performance data. But, yes, they actually do flow quite well and are a good overall design for all intended operating RPM on a stock engine and even with a mild truck-appropriate cam. Shorties have been shown to not be worth the cost or effort over stock manifolds. Sure, they will flow slightly better. But, the thinner metal radiating the extra heat and sound into the engine bay outweighs the gains.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On exhaust... My impression is that the diameter of the stock Y-pipe is plenty for mild engines. It's just those 3 cats that are in the way. I am thinking I will have the cats deleted, and keep the Y-pipe.

The collectors on our stock manifolds look nice, almost like shorty headers. I'm not sure how big the primaries are, though.

My plans for the Tahoe will stay minimal for now, until I get my other projects finished. Routine maintenance will be the focus.

With that said, I figure I should probably at least do the physical DOD delete at some point. I'm considering a mild low-lift cam. We will see.

Yes, the stock exhaust is designed very well for a stock engine. It's 2.75" until after the muffler, then it's 2.5". With no cats, it'll be LOUD. It'll also flow a little better, which would support a mild cam. Keeping the stock manifolds will help to get the heat further away from the engine bay and help maintain low-end torque that might be otherwise lost from uncorking the exhaust. Depending on what your shop would charge to splice pipes into the Y-pipe where the cats were (if they'll even delete cats), you might be better off getting long tubes with a Y-pipe. I'd strongly suggest having them ceramic coated.

This morning I was looking at flexible 4" intake tubes, and I had the realization that dryer exhaust tubes are basically the same thing. You can get them black PVC-coated, too. Don't make me do it.

How about ABS plumbing pipe? It's black and can be done very cleanly. I think you'd just need a 90° (or get a 90° silicone coupler to adapt the 4" pipe to the throttle body), 45° (maybe two?) and a short length of straight. If I were doing it, I'd cut off the flared slip joints, taper the ends, butt the pipes together and glue them with ABS cement. Sand and fill as necessary and spray paint it. The problem is the MAF sensor mount.

Idea:

5075d1501888222-homemade-intake-need-pics-d528c741.jpg