2006 Yukon Oil Pressure Drop After New Heads Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonOwner06

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi forum members. I have an issue with my 5.3 Yukon engine that perhaps I can get some assistance with. I am the original owner and the vehicle has 137K miles on it. On a dreaded road trip the "Engine Overheating" message popped on the display. The coolant reservoir was empty so once the engine cooled down I refilled it and noticed over the course of a few months the coolant in the reservoir needed to be refilled.

I took the Yukon to a reputable engine shop. They discovered a small hairline crack on the right head. They replaced both heads and less than a few days I noticed the oil pressure dropped from 40 PSI to 20 PSI which eventually dropped below 10 PSI. Fearing there was an issue with the oil pickup, I had the O ring on the oil pick up replaced. It did not improve the oil pressure.

I am still trying to diagnose this pressure issue, but would the installation of new heads (perhaps not the exact replacement heads for my vehicle) cause the oil pressure to significantly drop?

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Fless please move to Engine section.

@YukonOwner06 I suffered cracked heads 2x on my 2004. It has taken a number of short oil change intervals to allow my pressure to stay up past 500 miles on the oil. My theory is that despite the first couple of changes, there was still residual coolant/oil mix in the block and would clog up the oil filter. I noticed on fresh oil/new filter the pressure would be great and then after 500 or so miles, it would drop to ~25PSI at idle. I put a can of Marvel Mystery Oil in it when this happened, drove for a half hour to hour and then changed for fresh. Rinse/repeat a number of times.

Unfortunately, I was lazy so I can't tell you the number of times I did this. Now I can go 3000 miles and keep "normal" pressure. My normal is a little lower than 40 at hot idle, which might be bearing wear. Hopefully yours can be rectified by 4-5 short OCI's. If it persists, there might be substantial wear from the coolant being in the oil. Good luck.

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you reading oil pressure? The gauge in the cluster or an actual mechanical gauge in the block? If you're basing it on the cluster, confirm it with a mechanical gauge first. Then go from there. What is cold pressure at? Is it always low or start normal and drop as it warms up?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
How are you reading oil pressure? The gauge in the cluster or an actual mechanical gauge in the block? If you're basing it on the cluster, confirm it with a mechanical gauge first. Then go from there. What is cold pressure at? Is it always low or start normal and drop as it warms up?
This, plus, did the oil pressure sensor get changed when doing the heads? You did not say. Also, with coolant running mixed thru it, the oil pump is suspect as well. Needs a mechanical gauge put on it.

OP
OP
Y

YukonOwner06

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@Fless please move to Engine section.

@YukonOwner06 I suffered cracked heads 2x on my 2004. It has taken a number of short oil change intervals to allow my pressure to stay up past 500 miles on the oil. My theory is that despite the first couple of changes, there was still residual coolant/oil mix in the block and would clog up the oil filter. I noticed on fresh oil/new filter the pressure would be great and then after 500 or so miles, it would drop to ~25PSI at idle. I put a can of Marvel Mystery Oil in it when this happened, drove for a half hour to hour and then changed for fresh. Rinse/repeat a number of times.

Unfortunately, I was lazy so I can't tell you the number of times I did this. Now I can go 3000 miles and keep "normal" pressure. My normal is a little lower than 40 at hot idle, which might be bearing wear. Hopefully yours can be rectified by 4-5 short OCI's. If it persists, there might be substantial wear from the coolant being in the oil. Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestions. What is the benefit of using the Marvel Mystery Oil and how would that help with the oil pressure to increase? I will try this suggestion out and jump back into the thread to post my results.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. What is the benefit of using the Marvel Mystery Oil and how would that help with the oil pressure to increase? I will try this suggestion out and jump back into the thread to post my results.
Didn't help the pressure. I was trying to get the excess/remainder of contaminated oil out of the motor using the MMO at the end of the interval.

OP
OP
Y

YukonOwner06

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This, plus, did the oil pressure sensor get changed when doing the heads? You did not say. Also, with coolant running mixed thru it, the oil pump is suspect as well. Needs a mechanical gauge put on it.
I am reading it off the instrument cluster. I have not done a manual reading just yet. The oil sensor was replaced a couple of times to determine if it was the oil sensor the root of the issue. Upon start-up the oil pressure on the instrument panel will be at 20 PSI and will remain at the level until the engine warms up. Upon increasing the RPM's I get, 30 PSI at 2K RPMs and 40 PSI at 3K RPMs. Its when I drive my Yukon for awhile the oil pressure will drop down to 7-8 PSI at idle which triggers the Low Oil Pressure notification and chime.

I cannot say how long my original head had the crack and the coolant was mixing in with the oil. It just seems after the heads were replaced the oil pressure just dropped significantly to the warning level. Would it be reasonable to replace the oil pump in hopes that is the culprit?

Again thanks for all of your replies and responses.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could do the old trick of adding a quart of trandsmission fluid also, run it for a day or two and then change the oil
that might help clean out any residual blockage
Ive told this technique to 100's if not 1000's of people. I always get that same surprised look. This technique was taught to me by the old timers. Now I am getting to be one of the "old timers'. A quart in the fuel tank also will clean your injectors too. It was originally used to clean out the old school carburetors too. Ive used it on autos, motorcyles, dirtbikes, 3&4 wheelers, lawnmowers....the navy wouldnt let me try it on Jet engines though. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlshort21