2006 Yukon Oil Pressure Drop After New Heads Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ive told this technique to 100's if not 1000's of people. I always get that same surprised look. This technique was taught to me by the old timers. Now I am getting to be one of the "old timers'. A quart in the fuel tank also will clean your injectors too. It was originally used to clean out the old school carburetors too. Ive used it on autos, motorcyles, dirtbikes, 3&4 wheelers, lawnmowers....the navy wouldnt let me try it on Jet engines though. :p
Used to use a quart either added directly to the crankcase or would use a vacuum hose, with engine running, and stick the hose in the ATF a little at a time and had to butterfly the throttle to keep running and wait till all gone and white smoke gone at the tailpipe.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use one Liter Diesel in the crankcase and drive appx. 20 Miles without heavy acceleration. I did that to my truck at my last oilchange. The oil was like honey at the dipstick when i filled in the diesel. And when i swapped the oil it was black.
The oilpressure increased after the oil change a few points.

It was funny when i stopped at the fuel station and took the tap to fill 1 Liter in my engine. The looks where worth every cent ..

OP
OP
Y

YukonOwner06

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This, plus, did the oil pressure sensor get changed when doing the heads? You did not say. Also, with coolant running mixed thru it, the oil pump is suspect as well. Needs a mechanical gauge put on it.
Apologize for the delayed response. The oil sensor was changed out several times after the heads were replaced.

The oil pressure dropped 10-15 pounds after the heads were replaced. The oil pump was not replaced as this drop in pressure was not discovered until after the new heads were installed. The oil pressure will be at 30-35 at startup and while driving, but when I come to stop and idle it drops down to 10-7 and I get the warning chime and message on the instrument panel. They put on a mechanical gauge and it showed 35 PSI at start up but they did not let it run for a bit and then measure it at idle. I suspect they were not wanting to see that idle measurement.

OP
OP
Y

YukonOwner06

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
you could do the old trick of adding a quart of trandsmission fluid also, run it for a day or two and then change the oil
that might help clean out any residual blockage
So add a quart of transmission fluid to the engine oil and then change the oil?

OP
OP
Y

YukonOwner06

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Used to use a quart either added directly to the crankcase or would use a vacuum hose, with engine running, and stick the hose in the ATF a little at a time and had to butterfly the throttle to keep running and wait till all gone and white smoke gone at the tailpipe.
Are you suggesting to add a qua
Ive told this technique to 100's if not 1000's of people. I always get that same surprised look. This technique was taught to me by the old timers. Now I am getting to be one of the "old timers'. A quart in the fuel tank also will clean your injectors too. It was originally used to clean out the old school carburetors too. Ive used it on autos, motorcyles, dirtbikes, 3&4 wheelers, lawnmowers....the navy wouldnt let me try it on Jet engines though. :p
Are you suggesting to add transmission fluid to the fuel as well? I have never heard that before and wouldnt that damage the fuel system parts? I am all ears that this point to solve this issue. Thanks

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also use one Quart Diesel in the engine. That works as well. I did that at my truck last time, I made an oil change. The oil was before like honey and after that it was black, full of carbon. So that worked very well, but I guess that will not solve your oil pressure problem.

But it's worth to try it.

But if this not solve your all pressure problem I would look for this two valves.

In the oil pan, there is a pressure relief or bypass valve which is there to prevent for no oil pressure when the oil filter is clogged, if this valve fails it can cause, no oil pressure.

And there is an oil pressure relief valve in the oil pump, which at least control the oil pressure.

This can also be a problem in your engine.
Probably because of the work on your engine something stuck in one of these valves.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Apologize for the delayed response. The oil sensor was changed out several times after the heads were replaced.

The oil pressure dropped 10-15 pounds after the heads were replaced. The oil pump was not replaced as this drop in pressure was not discovered until after the new heads were installed. The oil pressure will be at 30-35 at startup and while driving, but when I come to stop and idle it drops down to 10-7 and I get the warning chime and message on the instrument panel. They put on a mechanical gauge and it showed 35 PSI at start up but they did not let it run for a bit and then measure it at idle. I suspect they were not wanting to see that idle measurement.
Just curious--when the oil pressure drops low do you hear any drivetrain noise? Which heads did you have--which ones do you have now? I'm experiencing similar--but not exact issues with my Express van. Has the 4.8 with the 862 heads.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you suggesting to add a qua

Are you suggesting to add transmission fluid to the fuel as well? I have never heard that before and wouldnt that damage the fuel system parts? I am all ears that this point to solve this issue. Thanks
Tranny fluid serves 3 purposed inside the transmission. It is used as a coolant, hydraulic fluid and a detergent. Tranny fluid will not hurt your fuel pump, lines, seales nor fuel injectors. It will clean your injector nozzles. Dump a quart into your fuel tank and run another when you feel like it. Worst you will get is some smoke out the tailpipe. It will clean your injectors out. You can run it in your lawnmower, dirtbikes, ATV's and doesnt matter carb or fuel injection will benefit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo