100K Mile Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why don't you like changing out all the fluid? What kind of machines do a power flush? The old T-Tech and TransFlow machines let the transmission's pump move the fluid. The former I used to use at Jiffy Lube decades ago, the latter is what GM dealerships are equipped with and is SOP in the shop manuals.

I know for fact on the PPV models, which I have it said to drain, new filter and refill.

If you're concerned with the fluid in the converter, you can pull the line off the radiator, start the truck and pump it out that way.

But dealers using a power can blow seals on an older transmission. I have owned GM trucks for about 25 years now.......and never had to replace or rebuild a transmission. On a daily driver if you do the fluid and filter every 30,000 miles and keep it cool; they'll go over 250,000 miles no problem.

I just sold my 99 Yukon with 230,000 miles on it and the only thing I had to rebuild was the transfer case.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know for fact on the PPV models, which I have it said to drain, new filter and refill.

If you're concerned with the fluid in the converter, you can pull the line off the radiator, start the truck and pump it out that way.

But dealers using a power can blow seals on an older transmission. I have owned GM trucks for about 25 years now.......and never had to replace or rebuild a transmission. On a daily driver if you do the fluid and filter every 30,000 miles and keep it cool; they'll go over 250,000 miles no problem.

I just sold my 99 Yukon with 230,000 miles on it and the only thing I had to rebuild was the transfer case.

Yes, my owner's manual says to change it the traditional way but the shop manuals the other way, DIY versus the shop I guess.

OP
OP
RPB

RPB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks much for the replies! Extremely helpful. I have heard both sides of the argument with the trans service. When I first bought the Tahoe it was GM Certified so I was taking it to the local Chevy dealer and the guy there suggested I do the fluid and filter at 60K and the flush at 100K. I always ask others for their thoughts on this because it is great to hear why and how other people take care of their transmissions. I had a 1996 Yukon Sierra GT (Ugh I miss that truck) that I bought used with about 50K mikes and did changes of just dropping the pan every 40-50K mikes. Had it for 18 years and got almost 230K out of the trans before it started to throw a code that it was stating to fail. My father-in-law who does not believe in maintenance :( had a 2002 Bonneville with about 125K miles on it and had never serviced the trans. I was driving it on vacation when it stated to slip pretty bad and thought for sure it was toast. We limped into a GM dealer and they did the power flush (or whatever the term is for it) and it corrected the problem. Until then I was never much of a believer. He had to have it done another times between then and 180K when it acted up again and then he sold the car.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now my "recommendations" coming from being a part time tech not a mechanic and owner of GM trucks for over 25 years. Take that for what its worth.........if cyber security did not pay more then being a tech........I'd be full time

dougo

Reaction score
Just a thought on trans fluid I put a drain plug in the pan years ago to make draining easier this year i decided to use a vacuum pump to suck it out dip stick lets just say this is the way to go if you are not changing the filter no mess, i watch the parts stores and when trans fluid goes on sale i grab it. my how tows a lot so i do a drain and refill every year. and filter every few years.
Diff fluid i use royal purple every 50 k stopped using gm fluid after having to replace bearings.
The heating hose TEE fitting defiantly change My radiator guy advised me to never let dex cool go more then 50K

LittleFish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
RPB, I have a 2007 5.3 LT that was using about 3 qts between 5K mile oil changes. I took the Tahoe to a mechanic with a laptop to program the engine module. He turned off the AFM (v4 to v8 mode) by setting the temp of the AFM point to turn on to above 390 degrees. Have been running in V8 mode since then. Mileage is still 16 MPG to 18 MPG depending on trip length. Oil usage has dropped to 1/2 quart between 5K miles now. Total cost to have it programmed was $125. I would recommend this for a AFM engines. Just my personal point of view.

jcsswix

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
RPB, I have a 2007 5.3 LT that was using about 3 qts between 5K mile oil changes. I took the Tahoe to a mechanic with a laptop to program the engine module. He turned off the AFM (v4 to v8 mode) by setting the temp of the AFM point to turn on to above 390 degrees. Have been running in V8 mode since then. Mileage is still 16 MPG to 18 MPG depending on trip length. Oil usage has dropped to 1/2 quart between 5K miles now. Total cost to have it programmed was $125. I would recommend this for a AFM engines. Just my personal point of view.

You can also do this with devices like the Hypertech tuner or DiabloSport inTune tuner. These allow you to make many other changes, and give you the ability to turn your programming back to stock if needed. Best thing I ever did is turn off the AFM.

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 100K, it's probably time to change the oil...

I've changed spark plugs at 200K, but saw no change, and they weren't worn significantly. If anything, I'd change hoses at 200K.

I never change transmission fluid. If anything, suck the fluid out and change the filter, then refill with the same fluid. New fluid can cause seals to leak.

I've had transmissions fail, but NEVER due to fluid. Always a mechanical failure.

Phibbs87

Reaction score
Now my "recommendations" coming from being a part time tech not a mechanic and owner of GM trucks for over 25 years. Take that for what its worth.........if cyber security did not pay more then being a tech........I'd be full time
Truth about the cyber security realm lolgiphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo