I’m weary….

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer to use pessimism in advance, to guard against ruinous surprises ...

... but it works better with vehicles than with women ...

"You will lose more money chasing women, than you will lose women chasing money."

OP
OP
Jhwhite05

Jhwhite05

Reaction score
you have spent a pretty penny for sure but is still not as much as new and the new ones are not as reliable as yours is.
I’ve really wondered about that - I appreciate the perspective. We do absolutely LOVE this car - it’s been so useful for our family of 6.

One of the reasons I love this site is all the knowledgeable people on it (like you!). I’ve learned so much from you all. You all have saved me so much money already!

A 2015 Yukon Xl with 77k miles sells on Carmax right now for 31k. I’ve spent 17k on engine/transmission on my 2009! Not complaining - I just keep wondering if I should have just continued to upgrade with a lower mile vehicle every 5 or so years.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have spent a pretty penny for sure but is still not as much as new and the new ones are not as reliable as yours is.
If the rest of the body and functions are in good shape and the vehicle meets your needs, you are ahead of the game.
A 2015 Yukon Xl with 77k miles sells on Carmax right now for 31k. I’ve spent 17k on engine/transmission on my 2009!
Not complaining - I just keep wondering if I should have just continued to upgrade with a lower mile vehicle every 5 or so years.
The GMT900 are not as vaunted in terms of reliability as the GMT800.
The K2xx is worse than the GMT900.
The T1xx is worse than the K2xx.

Stop wondering.

OP
OP
Jhwhite05

Jhwhite05

Reaction score
The GMT900 are not as vaunted in terms of reliability as the GMT800.
The K2xx is worse than the GMT900.
The T1xx is worse than the K2xx.

Stop wondering.
I appreciate that assurance. I just need to stay the course….stick to the plan!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
$17k for the engine and transmission seems a bit high to me. A lifetime warranty transmission redo is around $6k and the difference of $11k for the engine seems steep. Who did the work on the pair of them and what is the warranty?

Also, if you buy new, there is the cost of the vehicle, the interest if you make payments, the higher insurance....If you buy used, it is an unknown and who knows how it was taken care of before you get it. You can do a complete rebuild, short of a whole new body, for less than a new one.

OP
OP
Jhwhite05

Jhwhite05

Reaction score
$17k for the engine and transmission seems a bit high to me. A lifetime warranty transmission redo is around $6k and the difference of $11k for the engine seems steep. Who did the work on the pair of them and what is the warranty?

Also, if you buy new, there is the cost of the vehicle, the interest if you make payments, the higher insurance....If you buy used, it is an unknown and who knows how it was taken care of before you get it. You can do a complete rebuild, short of a whole new body, for less than a new one.
The engine was done at a local Indy shop (trusted where I live), they did a Jasper reman for 9200 with a 100k or 3 year mile warranty. The transmission was a certified transmission - https://overland-park.certifiedtransmission.com/road-ripper/2000/ done by a locally owned transmission shop. That was 7k with a 30k mile warranty. So….16k-ish

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I saw the link for the transmission and the name and location of the shop. I moved to the PNW 28 years ago from Gladstone, Mo. and I wrote service at that time for an independent shop in Lenexa, Ks., in Johnson County, where I know that transmission shop has to be. You can PM me for the shop info but if you are looking for a shop in your area that is top notch and honest, I can turn you on to the shop name, owner's name and the phone number. AAA uses his shop for inspections on vehicles when there is a dispute from a AAA member, that is how good and honest that guy is. I loved working there.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marky, thanks. I’ve done the radiator and hoses, but never the water pump nor those quikclik junctions - that’s gonna need to go on my maintenance list - and without the stress of an immediate failure and needing to “get it fixed”, it would give me time to learn how to do it myself at YouTube University!
Who put your Jasper engine in.They should have replaced water pump?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons