Normal Motor Oil Usage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Owned since new and all stock and all service is documented.

Regarding the undated replacement valve cover. How does the revised baffle affect oil consumption?

What is the purpose and the "why" of the oil catch can? Is the intention to collect oil before it gets to the valve cover? If that is the case then it is still oil consumption assuming that caught oil is disposed of, no? Am I assuming the wrong function?

What you describe as oil potentially draining into the rear two cylinders from the intake manifold; Might that situation be looked into by looking at the spark plugs and if needed a step further using a scope?

About turning off the AFM, other than effect on gas mileage, are there any other implications of doing that?
I presume that the ECM had to be sent away so there is down time for the truck and possibly worse if the shipments get mishandled or lost. Do you know if there is a "plug in" reprogrammer for DIYers?
Another thought is that our state is a stickler with emissions and routinely checks our vehicles plugging them into inspection station scanners. Do you know if the alteration is picked up as having an impact on emissions? Increasing gas usage might be construed in that manner.
On the driverside the PVC (positive crankcase ventilation) system uses vacuum from the intake manifold to draw out crankcase gases (blowby) from the engine via the ds valve cover area. If the baffling in the driverside valve cover is designed properly it draws gases only, not liquid oil.

Most GM 2007 to 2011 LS v8 powered vehicles were sold to the public with a poorly designed driverside PCV valve cover. In 2014 GM came up with a fix and issued the TSB I posted previously.

The updated valve cover made a night and day difference in oil consumption with our 07 6.2L Denali. The catch can I installed in 2018 when we bought the vehicle caught 1+ oz of oil every 100 miles.

After I did the TSB updated valve cover install, piston combustion chamber soak, and afm deflector install, oil consumption was reduced to 1/4 qt/5k miles, and the catch can only catches 1 oz/4k miles.

Today our 07 6.2L Denali has 192k miles and doesn't need any oil added between 5k mile oil changes.

My engine when we purchased it in 2018 w/130k miles had stuck rings on all 8 cylinders. All 8 spark plugs looked like this pic. It didn't have a miss and wasn't throwing any codes.
sparkie2.jpg
Yukon VCs.jpg
Pvc moisture extracted.jpg
Catch can oil.jpg
relief valve w shield.JPG

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I've never seen plugs looking like that.
Mine were worn but normal looking when changed but that was a while ago. Worth another peek.
Planning on starting with the valve cover first and see if the condition improves.

It would be interesting to see catch can writeup.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Owned since new and all stock and all service is documented.

Regarding the undated replacement valve cover. How does the revised baffle affect oil consumption?

The only real difference is the location of the hole in the baffle. Yes, the revised hole is not only in another location but it's also square and larger. I'm not sure why. Could be simple ease of manufacturing or maybe the size plays a role in air volume and/or liquid oil drainage. As I understand it, the original location was inline with oil being flicked off of a rocker arm, so it had liquid oil being thrown into the baffle that couldn't drain off quickly enough. The oil filled up behind the baffle and flowed to the back (due to acceleration and installed angle of engine) where it was sucked up through the PCV port.

What is the purpose and the "why" of the oil catch can? Is the intention to collect oil before it gets to the valve cover? If that is the case then it is still oil consumption assuming that caught oil is disposed of, no? Am I assuming the wrong function?

LS engines have strong PCV flow volume. Especially at higher loads/higher RPM, they move a lot of oil through the air stream. If they're driven easily/normally, the amount of oil passed and burnt usually isn't much of a concern. A catch can catches [most of] the oil carried in the PCV stream and collects it in a reservoir rather than letting it go into the engine. It's the oil leaving the valve cover and going into the intake manifold. The can't cause harm, so having one even if there's not much oil present is one of those "safer than sorry" measures. Oil making its way out of the engine is one thing. But being consumed by the engine is another, and worse thing. Burning the oil is what can eventually cause problems and has. If the oil in the can is clean, and it will be assuming there's not a lot of moisture in there with the oil, then you can dump it back into the engine through the oil fill neck. The first measure is to keep it inside the engine in the first place, and that updated valve cover is the first step.

What you describe as oil potentially draining into the rear two cylinders from the intake manifold; Might that situation be looked into by looking at the spark plugs and if needed a step further using a scope?

@donjetman got you lined out. He has one of the most comprehensive success stories of the problem, cause and resolution I've seen. You can remove the #7 #5 plugs and compare. Ideally, they look the same. If #7 has more carbon on it, then that cylinder as a whole is crudded up. I'd attack the source(s) and perform the upper engine soak(s), etc. just as Don did.

About turning off the AFM, other than effect on gas mileage, are there any other implications of doing that?
I presume that the ECM had to be sent away so there is down time for the truck and possibly worse if the shipments get mishandled or lost. Do you know if there is a "plug in" reprogrammer for DIYers?
Another thought is that our state is a stickler with emissions and routinely checks our vehicles plugging them into inspection station scanners. Do you know if the alteration is picked up as having an impact on emissions? Increasing gas usage might be construed in that manner.

These engines were bombproof in their Gen 3 form. Gen 4 brought better components, but also the first iteration of AFM, making that legendary reliability questionable. Lose AFM and you then should have that Gen 3 reliability and then some due to the upgraded parts. No adverse affects other than losing a miniscule amount of fuel economy.

The thing is, what little MPG gain this version of AFM may yield will NEVER be worth the risk of running it. There are too many factors needed for AFM to be engaged and you'd have to remain in those instances for extended periods for it to be worth even considering keeping. I'm talking cruising at a steady speed under 65, maybe 70 on flat land with no curves, no traffic, no head- or sidewinds, etc. for miles and miles at a time. And this needs to be your everyday route/use. Anything outside of that and AFM is deactivated. At best, on a road trip, you're saving maybe $2 per tank of fuel. How much of that would you need to just break even with the cost of an engine rebuild or replacement? Yes, there are plug-in modules to disable AFM. There are cheap ones on Amazon and ebay that seem to work fine, but might draw power even when the car is off, leading to a dead battery. The king of these modules is Range. I think even they have or had the battery drain issue with their earlier versions and might have fixed it by now. Still, I'd unplug it if the car was gonna sit for more than a day or two. What I don't like about these plug-in modules is you have to babysit them- remember to plug it in, remember to unplug it. You also have your ALDL ("OBDII") port occupied. If you're somewhere requiring inspections or if you bring your car in for service and they need to access the port, they have to unplug it. When unplugged, the readiness monitors aren't set, so you can't pass inspection at that time or it might confuse the serviced tech thinking you have more issues than you/they thought. When unplugged, you're re-enabling electrical and mechanical components that haven't been cycled in X amount of time. This has been known to cause mechanical failure. For these reasons, I'd rather disable it via tune. It's like AFM just isn't a feature on the engine any longer and it operates normally otherwise. That place I linked you to seems to have great service. I know of two or three members here that have used them just within the past year or two. Yes, there is down time and yes, there is a risk of the PCM being lost in shipping. These are valid concerns. Another option, and it might be worth the extra cost to you, is to have someone locally tune your car to turn it off. Credits to license a PCM are $100. So, it's that plus what they charge for their labor. Just to turn things off should command the bare minimum since they're not datalogging, tweaking fuel and spark maps, etc. I had mine tuned not long after I bought it to disable AFM, turn off the rear O2 sensors, remove the speed limiter and maybe something else I'm not remembering. It was $150. Or, if you've ever entertained a full tune, which I'd recommend, you can have them turn off AFM when that is done. Full tunes are easily $500+ for a reputable, trustworthy tuner. I don't believe AFM existence or usage is monitored with normal emissions inspections. But, a modified tune, at any level, might be, depending on where you live. I'd venture to say this would only be a problem in California.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should add that we follow California emissions standards and plug our vehicles in for testing every two years.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should add that we follow California emissions standards and plug our vehicles in for testing every two years.

So if you unplugged the disabler for testing, you'd have to drive around for a certain amount of time, miles and instances with no issues to satisfy the readiness monitors so you could go get tested. This means awakening a system that has sat dormant for two years. I wouldn't do that. Sure, you could periodically activate it. But, then, what's the point of even disabling it or dealing with babysitting that plug-in module?

Are you in California or does your area just "follow California emissions standards"? Last I knew, CA was the only state that prohibited or wants to prohibit any alterations to the factory tune. Even then it might just be specifically what is altered. Emissions and MPG aren't directly/wholly related. A problem leading to unburnt fuel (more emissions) is what they're looking for and is different than your engine properly burning the fuel its eight or four cylinders are being fed.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if you unplugged the disabler for testing, you'd have to drive around for a certain amount of time, miles and instances with no issues to satisfy the readiness monitors so you could go get tested. This means awakening a system that has sat dormant for two years. I wouldn't do that. Sure, you could periodically activate it. But, then, what's the point of even disabling it or dealing with babysitting that plug-in module?

Are you in California or does your area just "follow California emissions standards"? Last I knew, CA was the only state that prohibited or wants to prohibit any alterations to the factory tune. Even then it might just be specifically what is altered. Emissions and MPG aren't directly/wholly related. A problem leading to unburnt fuel (more emissions) is what they're looking for and is different than your engine

"No person shall fail to maintain in good working order or remove, dismantle or otherwise cause to be inoperative any equipment or feature constituting an operational element of the air pollution control system or mechanism of a motor vehicle required by regulations of the Commissioner of Energy and Environmental ..."

If the cylinder deactivation was implemented to meet gas mileage requirements of the standards then it would seem that the end of the paragraph could be applicable.
In any event, disabling the system is off the table regardless of any mechanical risks.

There has been much information regarding the positive affects that swapping out the left valve cover has on oil consumption so that is a sensible and simple step to undertake.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"No person shall fail to maintain in good working order or remove, dismantle or otherwise cause to be inoperative any equipment or feature constituting an operational element of the air pollution control system or mechanism of a motor vehicle required by regulations of the Commissioner of Energy and Environmental ..."

If the cylinder deactivation was implemented to meet gas mileage requirements of the standards then it would seem that the end of the paragraph could be applicable.
In any event, disabling the system is off the table regardless of any mechanical risks.

There has been much information regarding the positive affects that swapping out the left valve cover has on oil consumption so that is a sensible and simple step to undertake.

I see what you're saying and I'm not arguing that you should change your mind and disable AFM. As with any laws- it's all up to interpretation. Fuel consumption and emissions (pollution) are related, but also not. What if someone's driving environment and style (lots of hills, pulling a trailer, moderate to hard throttle, lots of wind, etc.) meant that their vehicle NEVER had a chance to activate AFM- Would their vehicle then be illegal to operate?

I'm understanding the "air pollution control system or mechanism" as things like catalytic converters, EGR, and engine calibrations (tuning) to maintain a proper burning of hydrocarbons for the environment's sake. AFM is more for the owner's sake in making the vehicle cheaper to operate. I don't recall any 2008ish V-8-powered Ford SUVs having cylinder deactivation. Why would they be allowed to always run on eight cylinders and yours not, even if both vehicles achieved the same fuel efficiency?

Side note: According to fueleconomy.gov, the '08 Z71 4WD Tahoe averaged 14 city/19 highway MPG. The '08 Expedition 2WD (couldn't find 4WD) averaged 12 city/18 highway. 4WD tends to get 1 MPG or so less. AFM might net you an extra MPG or two in the best case scenario.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for sharing knowledge and experiences.
Some ideas on the table.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In replaceing the valve cover, should the gasket be left dry or get a smear of motor oil like the oil filter gasket?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In replaceing the valve cover, should the gasket be left dry or get a smear of motor oil like the oil filter gasket?

Dry. The reasons you lubricate the oil filter gasket is because you're twisting it while squashing it and you'll be needing to remove it soon. Neither are the case with any other seal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts