I’m weary….

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhwhite05

Reaction score
I’m weary…

I have to admit, I absolutely love our 2009 GMC Yukon XL. But over the last couple years….I’ve gotten weary. Weary of big-ticket fix-it issues:

It’s got a reman Jasper Engine
A new transmission
Fuel Pump
Wheel bearings
Suspension (springs/shocks)
Headlight housings

…and just recently the rack and pinion started to leak.

GMC friends, I want to ask you about preventative maintenance. I feel like I keep getting surprised by things. It feels like every time I go into the mechanic, it’s another thousand dollars! I’d like to learn more about preventative maintenance, and the things I should be having on my radar given the mileage of my vehicle (260k +). I’d like to put my car on a preventative maintenance schedule.

I’m sooooo tired of surprises.

Any suggestions?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
At 260k, you will have some major expenses sometimes, especially if you are doing what I call "breakdown" maintenance, instead of "preventative" maintenance.

Your owner's manual is an excellent source of what the minimum you should be doing. I do my preventative maintenance intervals before what the manual would say. How long have you owned it? There is a maintenance for flushing power steering fluid. Are you using a trusted qualified shop or just doing Jiffy Lube oil changes and going to shops based on cost?

OP
OP
Jhwhite05

Jhwhite05

Reaction score
At 260k, you will have some major expenses sometimes, especially if you are doing what I call "breakdown" maintenance, instead of "preventative" maintenance.

Your owner's manual is an excellent source of what the minimum you should be doing. I do my preventative maintenance intervals before what the manual would say. How long have you owned it? There is a maintenance for flushing power steering fluid. Are you using a trusted qualified shop or just doing Jiffy Lube oil changes and going to shops based on cost?
That’s a really helpful distinction, “breakdown” vs “preventative” maintenance. I’d like to understand that better. Time for google!

I am the second owner and have put 160k miles on this vehicle since 2015. We are a 1 car family…and we do multiple LONG roadtrips per year.

I do most regular smaller maintenance stuff myself: oil/filter, brakes, wheel bearings, etc….and use a trusted independently owned mechanic shop for the bigger stuff (to me!) - stuff like fuel pump, catalytic converter and many of things that flip codes.

I didn’t know there was a power steering fluid flush maintenance! Thanks for mentioning that. I suppose I should ensure my mechanic does that swap out the rack and pinion.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just before I junked the last Caprice 9C1-LT1 I'll likely ever own, I started to populate a contingency milkcrate with a bunch of small cheap parts unique to LT1 4- & 5-doors, so that if something small ever failed, I would not need to wait for a parts store or mechanic to source them, in case it'd take more than a day due to rarity.
LT1 H2Opump spline sleeve, variable coolant restrictor thingy, basically an entire spare LT1 ignition kit, etc ...
Food for thought ...

In your case, prepare to replace cooling system stuff:
H2Opump, either of those plastic quikclik coolant junctions by the firewall that self-pulverize after 10 years ...
Any part of the cooling system that fails, can turn the engine into a doorstop in 2min or less.

OP
OP
Jhwhite05

Jhwhite05

Reaction score
H2Opump, either of those plastic quikclik coolant junctions by the firewall that self-pulverize after 10 years ...
Marky, thanks. I’ve done the radiator and hoses, but never the water pump nor those quikclik junctions - that’s gonna need to go on my maintenance list - and without the stress of an immediate failure and needing to “get it fixed”, it would give me time to learn how to do it myself at YouTube University!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
On your list of what you do and the shop does, there was only one thing listed that is preventative maintenance. the oil change. Breakdown maintenance is when you drive the rig till you have a problem and then that cost is a surprise and typically you are stranded. Preventative maintenance is something to do at mileage and time intervals and can be planned on and know the costs. Preventative maintenance: Oil and filter changes, lube job, transmission services, power steering flushes, brake fluid flush, cooling system flushes, differential fluid changes, transfer case fluid changes, clean and lube all rubber door seals and sun roof seals and hatch seals, tire rotations and brake inspections, steering and suspension inspections, emissions and exhaust inspections, spark plug changes, plug wire changes, clean throttle body and MAF/MAP sensors, fuel filter changes if applicable, wiper blade replacement, belts and hoses replacements.....etc.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An ounce of maintenance is worth a pound of cure ... wonder how much time it's worth ...
When you look underhood, use a pinch of pessimism; think of the things that haven't failed you YET ...
... those parts'll be cheaper to buy now, when you've got time to shop around for good deals.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The other things to consider: you have spent a pretty penny for sure but is still not as much as new and the new ones are not as reliable as yours is. If the rest of the body and functions are in good shape and the vehicle meets your needs, you are ahead of the game. The big ticket items of the engine and transmission are already done. Of course, if you had the mechanical ability that I and other members here have, you could save some money but not everyone is able to do that.

Do not cheap out on parts. Use good quality parts or ask that the tech you use, uses good quality parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645