2020 Yukon SLT - Maintenance Interval Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2Luckysat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,
New to the group and thank you for having me. I am the original owner of a 2020 Yukon-4WD with a 5.3 and 6speed Transmission with 3.42 gears. It now has 55K miles, I haven't changed much out yet (other than oil every 7500 miles, air filter at 30K, cabin Filter 30K and Tires 50K) its used as a daily driver with some occasional towing with a 6500 lb boat and trailer package. I love the truck because it suits my needs and I hope to keep it for the long haul. That said I'm getting different conflicting stories from the dealer and owners manual on service intervals for:

1. Transmutation Fluid
2. Transfer case
3. Front & Rear Gear oil
4. Drain Radiator Coolant
5. Spark Plugs & wires
6. Brake Fluid Flush
7. Air Filter
8. Cabin Filter

I want to properly take care of the truck but dealer keeps pushing services, seems overpriced and more attracted to my wallet than my ex-wife Lol... I am willing to pay to take care of the truck but would like too budget ahead of time for when these services are actually needed. Any help or input from guys that know these trucks better than me would be greatly appreciated.

15burban

Reaction score
If you don't know how or want to do some of the things yourself I'd look for a good local shop/mechanic to do the work. Should be a lot cheaper then a dealership.

If they've never been done I would highly recommend getting the trans, transfer case, front, and rear end fluid changed. Transmission especially. The cleaner/newer the transmission fluid the better.

I'm not sure what your owners manual says but the coolant, plugs, and wires should be good til 100k if not longer. Brake fluid I'd go by what the manual says. There's people that never change their's. I usually do mine every 50k-60k unless I need to replace a line or caliper then I flush it then.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
New to the group and thank you for having me. I am the original owner of a 2020 Yukon-4WD with a 5.3 and 6speed Transmission with 3.42 gears. It now has 55K miles, I haven't changed much out yet (other than oil every 7500 miles, air filter at 30K, cabin Filter 30K and Tires 50K) its used as a daily driver with some occasional towing with a 6500 lb boat and trailer package. I love the truck because it suits my needs and I hope to keep it for the long haul. That said I'm getting different conflicting stories from the dealer and owners manual on service intervals for:

1. Transmutation Fluid
2. Transfer case
3. Front & Rear Gear oil
5. Spark Plugs & wires
6. Brake Fluid Flush
7. Air Filter
8. Cabin Filter

I want to properly take care of the truck but dealer keeps pushing services, seems overpriced and more attracted to my wallet than my ex-wife Lol... I am willing to pay to take care of the truck but would like too budget ahead of time for when these services are actually needed. Any help or input from guys that know these trucks better than me would be greatly appreciated.
There is no set parameter. Just get them done as you can

OP
OP

2Luckysat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you don't know how or want to do some of the things yourself I'd look for a good local shop/mechanic to do the work. Should be a lot cheaper then a dealership.

If they've never been done I would highly recommend getting the trans, transfer case, front, and rear end fluid changed. Transmission especially. The cleaner/newer the transmission fluid the better.

I'm not sure what your owners manual says but the coolant, plugs, and wires should be good til 100k if not longer. Brake fluid I'd go by what the manual says. There's people that never change their's. I usually do mine every 50k-60k unless I need to replace a line or caliper then I flush it then.
Perfect and thanks for the advice 15 Burban. I called today and they are doing the tranny fluid and filter for me now, I'll budget for the transfer case & front and rear end next...

shock

Reaction score
Perfect and thanks for the advice 15 Burban. I called today and they are doing the tranny fluid and filter for me now, I'll budget for the transfer case & front and rear end next...
That's the correct priority. And I hope you're not paying a dealer to replace the cabin and engine air filters. Those are simple DIY tasks with a couple basic tools and 15 minutes.

OP
OP

2Luckysat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's the correct priority. And I hope you're not paying a dealer to replace the cabin and engine air filters. Those are simple DIY tasks with a couple basic tools and 15 minutes.
Yes those ones thankfully I've been doing on my own, grabbed them on Amazon and saved the part numbers for next time. The guy at the dealer tells you it's time for a new cabin filter every time I see him. Probably wacks you for a couple of hundred for those as well Lol...

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... getting different conflicting stories from the dealer and owners manual on service intervals for:

1. Transmutation Fluid (?)
2. Transfer case
3. Front & Rear Gear oil
5. Spark Plugs & wires
6. Brake Fluid Flush
7. Air Filter
8. Cabin Filter
For how long are you planning to keep this vehicle?
The longer you plan to keep it, the more you should apply some kind of skew / offset to the 'recommended' service intervals.
As an example, I change antifreeze every two years.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd change oil & filter closer to 3750 miles vs 7500 miles, even if it never tows again.
Remember, your engine is equipped with Cylinder Confusion.
Those two mode lifters don't like dirty oil.
Also, find out which oil filter is longer, and use that one instead of the shorter one.

Since I failed to notice that you tow with it 'occasionally' ...
Ever heard of the severe service maintenance schedule? Yea, use that - at least I would.

If you're lucky enough to have an ATF temp gauge, every time your ATF reaches or exceeds 230F, just change out the ATF, along with the ATF filter.

I'll never change my air filter based on mileage. I hold it up to sunlight.
When it protects my eyes from looking at the sun through it too well, time for a new one.

I change all the brake fluid whenever I replace calipers or brake lines.

The one I don't change 'regularly': power steering fluid.
Whenever I buy a used car, I change the power steering fluid before either the next summer or next winter comes ... then every two years after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660