100K Mile Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RPB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I purchased my 2012 Tahoe in 2014 with 33K miles on it and is approaching 100K miles. I want to keep it a loooong time so I an wondering what I should do for preventative maintenance when I reach the 100K milestone? (I.E. trans flush, hoses, plugs wires??) I also noticed for the first time since owning it at 6 months and about 3000 miles on the oil change it used about 3/4 of a quart. Is this normal?? I have always used AC Delco 5W30 Full Synthetic oil and changed it about every 5000-6000 miles.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just rolled 200k on my Suburban. I basically did ALL fluids....engine oil, trans flush, transfer case, axles, coolant, power steering...and then serpentine belt, plugs, wires. Hoses are actually still good.

Excessive? Maybe, but she's still all-original and I work her HARD.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in addition to the things bill noted, 02 sensors are rated for 100k will they last longer? yes highly likely but I changed all 4 of mine at 100k because I am in this for the long run it was a $200 maintenance item, I have also done and do all fluids annually brake, coolant, power steering, differentials, transfer case, transmission.
suspension could be worn typically the struts will wear out anywhere from 65k+ I did mine at 80k you can get just the shock portion of the front strut's, mine has air-ride and one of the rear shocks had a slow leak so those were also replaced and the air pump.
I would recommend just getting under it with a flashlight and take a look at everything real good, leaks are my pet peeve so I check mine monthly I also check for anything that looks worn like bushings, u-joints, end links, etc. brake calipers can start leaking so always look behind and under each one while under the vehicle.
you may also want to jack up the front so the wheels are off the ground and check the front wheel hubs for play, hold the wheel at 12 & 6 and see if it "wiggles" there should be no play, then check at 9 & 3 there will be a small amount of play due to the steering but it's shouldn't be excessive if it is the steering components may have wear. also spin each wheel and listen for any weird noise if one sounds different form the other that could be a potential sign of wear. I check mine maybe every 3 months or so it's not really a preemptive item when they go they usually start making noise or they will get loose or a ABS light may illuminate, hence the regular inspection.
*one critical part that can fail unexpectedly is the heater hose's where they "T" at the firewall after years of heat/cold the plastic gets weak and they can just snap off or leak out of the clear blue sky I replaced mine with new ones because I have had them fail in the past this was a preemptive replacement just because the dang things can fail at the most inopportune time.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What Bill and Wes said about covers it. Usually I lose about 3/4 quart between changes as well on my 2002. I see no problems and no smoke so I am leaving it alone. The money you spend on all this is money in the bank. Like my Dad taught me, "maintenance pays and breakdowns cost". With maintenance you know ahead of time how much you are spending and what is to be done. With repairs, it is a crap shoot.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased my 2012 Tahoe in 2014 with 33K miles on it and is approaching 100K miles. I want to keep it a loooong time so I an wondering what I should do for preventative maintenance when I reach the 100K milestone? (I.E. trans flush, hoses, plugs wires??) I also noticed for the first time since owning it at 6 months and about 3000 miles on the oil change it used about 3/4 of a quart. Is this normal?? I have always used AC Delco 5W30 Full Synthetic oil and changed it about every 5000-6000 miles.

Don't run your transmission fluid so long next time, half it or a little more. Time to flush the radiator too.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Oil change
transmission change
differential change(transfer case if applicable )
spark plugs and wires
MAF sensor (these tend to go bad at 100k/10years)
coolant change
Belt
A/C belt (if applicable)
drive shaft bearings & joints inspection
Thermostat replacement.
inspect coolant hoses ( for structural integrity)
DRL,tail light,brake light inspection (replace with LEDs)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the trans service, just a fluid and filter..............do not let the dealer or shop talk you into the power flush service.

Why don't you like changing out all the fluid? What kind of machines do a power flush? The old T-Tech and TransFlow machines let the transmission's pump move the fluid. The former I used to use at Jiffy Lube decades ago, the latter is what GM dealerships are equipped with and is SOP in the shop manuals.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Why don't you like changing out all the fluid? What kind of machines do a power flush? The old T-Tech and TransFlow machines let the transmission's pump move the fluid. The former I used to use at Jiffy Lube decades ago, the latter is what GM dealerships are equipped with and is SOP in the shop manuals.

Yes, I have used the machines that use the trans pump to move the fluid. I think the big drawback that people think of is the all new fluid being a shock to the clutches and causing problems. Personally I would change all the trans fluid, IMO.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have used the machines that use the trans pump to move the fluid. I think the big drawback that people think of is the all new fluid being a shock to the clutches and causing problems. Personally I would change all the trans fluid, IMO.
only if the clutch is all ready burned out so if it's still clean then it's fine..

mine has two filters aux pump Filter and primary Filter..

yeah it cost double the amount 90$

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts