07 Valley cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am looking at the GM GENUINE 12598832 VLOM. have read bad reviews on the oem unit having very poor casting quality which reminds me of the valve covers when I bought them OEM as well. What are you guys using as per the VLOM goes?

What's poor about the casting quality? The piece is warped? The mating surfaces not flat/true? Or are they complaining about the casting flash that look like "cracks"?

That #12598832 is NOT a VLOM. It's a valley cover, but has the built-in seals for the decommissioned AFM towers in the block. It's what I used for my delete. No complaints.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is an 08 and it has a flat cover. The Orings that seal off the DOD oil feeds will shrink over time and cause major oil pressure issues. When I had mine apart I drilled and taped them.

OP
OP
C

crownvic31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all
Its been a few months but I finally got around to do this job. So I replaced the valley cover with a smooth one. Everything went well. Started the car up and it ran fine for about 30 secounds then it started slapping ******* the passenger side. Shut engine off and gave it a few minutes. Started her up again and ran fine for 30 secounds and now its slapping on the driver side and not the passenger side. tried starting her several times and it runs fine for a few secounds and then it starts slapping on the driver side. What am I looking for here?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
Its been a few months but I finally got around to do this job. So I replaced the valley cover with a smooth one. Everything went well. Started the car up and it ran fine for about 30 secounds then it started slapping ******* the passenger side. Shut engine off and gave it a few minutes. Started her up again and ran fine for 30 secounds and now its slapping on the driver side and not the passenger side. tried starting her several times and it runs fine for a few secounds and then it starts slapping on the driver side. What am I looking for here?
I don't understand what you mean by slapping. Do you mean a knocking or rapping sound?

OP
OP
C

crownvic31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just dont understand. Everything went smooth. from the removel of the valley cover to the install of the new one.
Why does it start knocking after 20-30 secounds and only the driver side?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just dont understand. Everything went smooth. from the removel of the valley cover to the install of the new one.
Why does it start knocking after 20-30 secounds and only the driver side?
I don't either. It makes me wonder if there is more to disabling it on that particular engine. Like maybe the ECU is still looking for the VLOM to be there even though it's deactivated. I have a later build '07 with the L92 and it has a flat valley pan with the pigtail wrapped up like it was never used. But your early pictures clearly show the pigtail hooked to the VLOM.

OP
OP
C

crownvic31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't either. It makes me wonder if there is more to disabling it on that particular engine. Like maybe the ECU is still looking for the VLOM to be there even though it's deactivated. I have a later build '07 with the L92 and it has a flat valley pan with the pigtail wrapped up like it was never used. But your early pictures clearly show the pigtail hooked to the VLOM.
In the process of installing the oem vlom and see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01