Z55 rear air shock good/bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
sam03v

sam03v

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You need kit 88987900
If you are getting a new compressor and Arnott shocks you need it anyway. Get the GM kit not the Dorman kit.
Just to recap this is a 2010 Tahoe LTZ. According to Rock Auto's website this part number(88987900) is for 2000-2006 Tahoe's, and an Amazon search says this won't fit a 2010. Is there another kit availabe or will this actually fit a 2010? Thanks.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just to recap this is a 2010 Tahoe LTZ. According to Rock Auto's website this part number(88987900) is for 2000-2006 Tahoe's, and an Amazon search says this won't fit a 2010. Is there another kit availabe or will this actually fit a 2010? Thanks.
My Burb is a 2013 and I bought the oem kit 88987900. That kit says it is for the nbs, it doesn't matter gm has used the same connector since they started using air shocks back in the 70's there is one slightly longer line in the kit that works perfect. that kit will fit.

OP
OP
sam03v

sam03v

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Burb is a 2013 and I bought the oem kit 88987900. That kit says it is for the nbs, it doesn't matter gm has used the same connector since they started using air shocks back in the 70's there is one slightly longer line in the kit that works perfect. that kit will fit.
Ok. Thanks a lot!

OP
OP
sam03v

sam03v

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I took the old compressor off yesterday after watching a video. That nut inside the frame rail holding on the bracket is kinda crazy. If you drop the nut in there it's gone! It didn't happen, but I was afraid it might..

update: After removing the compressor I realized that nut doesn't have to be removed, just loosened, then you can wiggle the compressor out.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering the role this system plays in the ride quality of the truck, its super simple to work on. When I did the chocks and compressor, it took all of 45 minutes to remove everything, and put it back on.

OP
OP
sam03v

sam03v

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I installed the new shocks, line and compressor. Now I'm getting a "service stabilitrac" message. Any suggestions? I know there is that connector on the passenger side that can get bumped while removing the shock, but it looks okay. Thanks.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I installed the new shocks, line and compressor. Now I'm getting a "service stabilitrac" message. Any suggestions? I know there is that connector on the passenger side that can get bumped while removing the shock, but it looks okay. Thanks.
There is one on each side. Check both and try to push them together.

OP
OP
sam03v

sam03v

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The connector on the driver side frame rail was disconnected! I couldn't see what I was doing, but got it snapped together with one hand. The "Stabilitrak" and ABS error message are now gone. My last concern is that the shocks do not seem to stay pressurized. I can feel them pump up when the compressor comes on with the ignition, but after drivng they are flat. I haven't put a load on the back so maybe that is why they feel flat? The truck seems level. Comments appreiciated... Thanks

Last edited:

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The connector on the driver side frame rail was disconnected! I couldn't see what I was doing, but got it snapped together with one hand. The "Stabilitrak" and other error messages are now gone. My last concern is that the shocks do not seem to stay pressurized. I can feel them pump up when the compressor comes on with the ignition, but after drivng they are flat. I haven't put a load on the back so maybe that is why they feel flat? The truck seems level. Comments appreiciated... Thanks
They should not be flat. You still have a leak somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcoop

Latest posts