Z55 rear air shock good/bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
sam03v

sam03v

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I didn't know a Tech 2 scanner was so expensive (when they were new). I'm still looking for a substitute, if one exists...

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
... Or.

See if any of the forum members live near you that I have one..

We got a thread about that somewhere around here...

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered an OEM set of shocks from Rock Auto...AC Delco. Hopefully will arrive today.
I think you'll be happy. I also went with OEM from RA when I replaced the air shocks on both of my XL Denali's. Best price around and the originals lasted for 120K of towing and people hauling.

OP
OP
sam03v

sam03v

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
"I think you'll be happy. I also went with OEM from RA when I replaced the air shocks on both of my XL Denali's. Best price around and the originals lasted for 120K of towing and people hauling."

Yeah, I'm hoping I'll notice a difference, I wouldn't be surprised if the current shocks are the originals.

I'm just curious, did you do the "automatic leveling recalbration" that was mentioned a few posts back?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I think you'll be happy. I also went with OEM from RA when I replaced the air shocks on both of my XL Denali's. Best price around and the originals lasted for 120K of towing and people hauling."

Yeah, I'm hoping I'll notice a difference, I wouldn't be surprised if the current shocks are the originals.

I'm just curious, did you do the "automatic leveling recalbration" that was mentioned a few posts back?
No, I didn't. I do have a Tech2 so I could if needed, but it hasn't been necessary on either truck. They both level out fine once I hook up the camper, install the WDH bars for the hitch, and turn on the ignition. They take up all remaining squat perfectly and they sit level.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You don't need to do the calibration if you aren't changing the ride height (lifting or lowering). When you replace them just make sure to cycle the key a few times so the compressor puts air in the airbags before you set the truck back on the ground or it will roll the bags.

OP
OP
sam03v

sam03v

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. Good to know I won't have to do the re-calibration. I had the truck parked so it was leaning a bit(my driveway isn't level) and the passenger shock was extended. See below. I think this verifies that this shock is shot!rear passenger shock_2.jpgrear passenger shock_1.jpgrear passenger shock.jpg