Z55 rear air shock good/bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sam03v

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,

I've recently bought a 2010 Tahoe LTZ, with the Z55 RPO and I'm fairly sure the rear shocks need replacing. Every time the ignition key is turned on, the compressor kicks on after ~15 seconds, but I can't see the rear of the truck rise at all. I hooked my boat trailer up to it, the compressor came on but it didn't see any rise. I'm not familiar with these air shocks except what I've read online. The rear shocks look rough, the rubber boot looks ragged on both shocks. Is this rubber boot actually supposed to inflate or is it a protective cover? I can squeeze this boot with my hands and they are both flat after the compressor kicks on and off. Please see the attached picture.airshock.jpg

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The compressor running at key on is normal. Yes, your shocks look to be shot. You can spray the shocks with soapy water to see if they leak.
You can read up on this thread for more info on what to do from here.

OP
OP
sam03v

sam03v

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The compressor running at key on is normal. Yes, your shocks look to be shot. You can spray the shocks with soapy water to see if they leak.
You can read up on this thread for more info on what to do from here.
Thanks. My main question is whether or not those rubber boots are supposed to be filled with air or are they just covers??

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thanks. My main question is whether or not those rubber boots are supposed to be filled with air or are they just covers??
They should be filled with air. If they are not firm with air pressure you have a leak. The leak could be the bladders themselves or the compressor relief valve. I replaced the entire system on my truck.

OP
OP
sam03v

sam03v

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks for the replies. I sprayed soapy water on the shocks, but didn't see any bubbles. But like I said that rubber section does not inflate at all..maybe the holes in the bladder are just too big??? I can hear air venting after the compressor stops. I'll try to find the compressor relief valve and spray it with soap water

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
thanks for the replies. I sprayed soapy water on the shocks, but didn't see any bubbles. But like I said that rubber section does not inflate at all..maybe the holes in the bladder are just too big??? I can hear air venting after the compressor stops. I'll try to find the compressor relief valve and spray it with soap water
You will hear air vent after the compressor runs it’s test at key on.
I have a tech2 which made diagnostics easy for me.
You need a pretty good load on the back of the truck to get it to try to adjust the ride hight. I could turn the compressor on with my scan tool and watch the pressure drop off right away. If you order up the Dorman compressor and the rebuilt Arnott shocks you will be in business.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont do anything with the compressor except unplug it. Its currently working, at least by sound. Unplug it.

Replace your shocks, I suggest the Arnott replacement above, but buying them thru Summit Racing is the cheapest, for the same part.

Find the part you need directly on the Arnott website.

Take that part number and plug it into the Summit search engine, you should find them.

There are 3 separate part #'s shown on the Arnott website.

AS2708 is a direct rebuilt part, and it will work like it did from the factory.

AS2715 is a new replacement part with simulators to fool the factory system.

AS3430 is the same as the AS2715, just a cheaper variant.

Once you replace the shocks, plug the compressor back in. See if the air bags fill. If they fill, you should be golden. if they dont fill, unplug the compressor, and likely you will have to replace it.

If you need a compressor, I used the Dorman brand thru Amazon. Best price. Not had any issues with the Dorman brand on this part (cant say that about any other part they make thou!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts