Z55 rear air shock good/bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
The connector on the driver side frame rail was disconnected! I couldn't see what I was doing, but got it snapped together with one hand. The "Stabilitrak" and other error messages are now gone. My last concern is that the shocks do not seem to stay pressurized. I can feel them pump up when the compressor comes on with the ignition, but after drivng they are flat. I haven't put a load on the back so maybe that is why they feel flat? The truck seems level. Comments appreiciated... Thanks
DONOT DRIVE the suv until you do the calibration procedure, if you don't the bladders will not last trust me. I fked up a set of oem air shocks. The bladders need to have some air, if I'm not mistaken it's like 10lbs. At least mine do, that's what the Tech2 read after I did the calibration procedure.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The connector on the driver side frame rail was disconnected! I couldn't see what I was doing, but got it snapped together with one hand. The "Stabilitrak" and other error messages are now gone. My last concern is that the shocks do not seem to stay pressurized. I can feel them pump up when the compressor comes on with the ignition, but after drivng they are flat. I haven't put a load on the back so maybe that is why they feel flat? The truck seems level. Comments appreiciated... Thanks

So you've replaced the shocks and the compressor? Did you replace the air line that runs to the right side or just the short one that comes with the compressor to the left shock?

OP
OP
sam03v

sam03v

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So you've replaced the shocks and the compressor? Did you replace the air line that runs to the right side or just the short one that comes with the compressor to the left shock?
I replaced the shocks, compressor(Dorman) and used the longer line from the kit 88987900 to run over to the passenger side shock. So the system parts are all new. I checked again this morning and could feel the shocks pump up, but they were flat when I checked after driving 30 min.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I replaced the shocks, compressor(Dorman) and used the longer line from the kit 88987900 to run over to the passenger side shock. So the system parts are all new. I checked again this morning and could feel the shocks pump up, but they were flat when I checked after driving 30 min.
The shocks should never be flat. You will need to soap all the connections looking for a leak.

OP
OP
sam03v

sam03v

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
DONOT DRIVE the suv until you do the calibration procedure, if you don't the bladders will not last trust me. I fked up a set of oem air shocks. The bladders need to have some air, if I'm not mistaken it's like 10lbs. At least mine do, that's what the Tech2 read after I did the calibration procedure.
I don't have access to a Tech2, so I guess I'll have to take the truck somewhere. I'll check for air leaks first though.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

I don't have access to a Tech2, so I guess I'll have to take the truck somewhere. I'll check for air leaks first though.
Several members have done compressor and shock service without doing the calibration so it is not likely to be the cause of the flat air bladder issue. I would still do it when you can. That said, did you find the leak yet?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed the new shocks, line and compressor. Now I'm getting a "service stabilitrac" message. Any suggestions? I know there is that connector on the passenger side that can get bumped while removing the shock, but it looks okay. Thanks.
I know this issue well. I accidentally separated the connector on the rear driver's side performing the shock replacement, and once I diagnosed it with the Tech 2 and reconnected it, the warning light disappeared. Strange that this connector separates so easily, whereas most of the other GM connectors are a b-i-t-c-h and a half to separate.

OP
OP
sam03v

sam03v

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No, I won't be able to leak check until later tonight.

OP
OP
sam03v

sam03v

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this issue well. I accidentally separated the connector on the rear driver's side performing the shock replacement, and once I diagnosed it with the Tech 2 and reconnected it, the warning light disappeared. Strange that this connector separates so easily, whereas most of the other GM connectors are a b-i-t-c-h and a half to separate.
Yeah, I didn't think I would actually have a disconnected connector, but sure enough that was the problem. It is hard to believe, but i was able to reattach it with one hand just by feel alone...which tells you how easily it could come apart again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC