1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another no heat/ac thread.... I know, I know.

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Diesel6point6, Sep 8, 2020.

1. jonnytahoe

jonnytahoe Full Access Member

Name:
    John
    My Yukon has a hole in the back of the center console where that little control panel is suppose to be. You solved the mystery of what goes in that spot

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  2. jwth

jwth TYF Newbie

Name:
    jim

Ok I know this most likley wont help but I had the same problem on my 03 yukon and finally reprogrammed the system with my tech2 and tis2000.
    Since then I have had no issues.

jonnytahoe and PNW VietVet like this.
  3. Diesel6point6

Diesel6point6 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Tyler
    Anything helps, I appreciate any and all input! If putting a new module in there doesn't fix it I will probably resort to finding someone with a tech 2 to take a look. Man I've been reading lots of reviews on this Dorman brand one that's in there now and it's bad review after bad review, with some having the same symptoms I'm having. I may be giving myself false hope, but I've just about convinced myself that's the issue. At least I'll have the peace of mind even if it doesn't fix it and I can comfortably move on to the next step.

4. brichter

brichter TYF Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Are you selling one?

5. PNW VietVet

PNW VietVet Supporting Member

Name:
    Ron
    They are on ebay all the time.

swathdiver likes this.
  6. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    Nope, just suggesting that it is the most important tool you can own for working on these things.

PNW VietVet likes this.
  7. jwth

jwth TYF Newbie

Name:
    jim
    Many modules for replacement need to be programmed or reprogrammed to get them to work with the new vehicle they are being installed in. Different vehicle, different controls and trim styles or packages. Not uncommon to get a "dumb" module that would fit several models with different controls.

8. brichter

brichter TYF Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Was looking for one, wound up with the vxdiag nano USB adapter and installed the software on a laptop I had laying around. Was going to get a Tech2, but this setup does GDS2 also.

9. PNWTahoe

PNWTahoe Full Access Member

Name:
    Ta Hoe
    My 2005 Tahoe with Rear A/C stopped blowing hot air. I found a dude on youtube that showed how to diagnose that it was the controller module, not the blend door.

You jump a couple wires and can make the blend door move and it proves the controller module is dead. For the interim I jumped the blend door to open, then unplugged it. I have hot air 24/7 coming out of the rear system. I think that module is around $80-90 for the rear.

10. Diesel6point6

Diesel6point6 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Tyler
    Ok guys, I finally have this issue solved! Nothing drives me more insane than doing my due diligence and searching threads, only to find 80% of them don't take the time to update what the issue was, so here's mine.

I first started with getting the correct part # actuator in there. With that, it was still acting very random. Would work one day and wouldn't the next so I was even more sure it had to be the control unit.

Although it took longer than I would've liked, I finally acquired a new oem HVAC control unit from the junkyard. I plugged that bad boy in with my fingers crossed, first with the original actuator that came with the vehicle just out of curiosity. That did not work. Next I put in the new actuator and we had lift off!! I can't tell you how relieved I was, this issue has been driving me insane.

So, all in all I had both an actuator problem as well as the control unit. If anybody reading this down the line has a Dorman brand aftermarket control unit, ditch it. Total junk that caused way more issues than it should have.

Thanks again for all that chimed in with advice. Now on to figuring out the rear heat :eek:

wjburken likes this.