Yet another no heat/ac thread.... I know, I know.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Glad to hear it. It is not that often that you have a controller and an actuator go bad at the same time but it can happen. Likely one was an intermittent problem before the other one failed as well.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok guys, I finally have this issue solved! Nothing drives me more insane than doing my due diligence and searching threads, only to find 80% of them don't take the time to update what the issue was, so here's mine.

I first started with getting the correct part # actuator in there. With that, it was still acting very random. Would work one day and wouldn't the next so I was even more sure it had to be the control unit.

Although it took longer than I would've liked, I finally acquired a new oem HVAC control unit from the junkyard. I plugged that bad boy in with my fingers crossed, first with the original actuator that came with the vehicle just out of curiosity. That did not work. Next I put in the new actuator and we had lift off!! I can't tell you how relieved I was, this issue has been driving me insane.

So, all in all I had both an actuator problem as well as the control unit. If anybody reading this down the line has a Dorman brand aftermarket control unit, ditch it. Total junk that caused way more issues than it should have.

Thanks again for all that chimed in with advice. Now on to figuring out the rear heat :eek:

Could you post the GM part number for the one you ended up with?

In my new to me 2005 Z71 my control head works but I did notice that the fan speed rocker/switch is cracked and I feel soon will cause a problem or just break off completely and then I will have to deal with the bright light that will then be exposed. The pics that I found while looking your controller up look just like mine but I know that does not mean it is the correct one.

I have done some searching for mine and found some numbers that I hope @915_Tahoe can chime in about. The last 8 digits are 5R221385.

The numbers I came up with are (15-73561)..........(15-73503) which also crosses to (15832316)..........(15855848). It looks like I can still find a new one but is over $500. I am ok with getting a new one but just want to be sure it is the right new one.

OP
OP
D

Diesel6point6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Could you post the GM part number for the one you ended up with?

In my new to me 2005 Z71 my control head works but I did notice that the fan speed rocker/switch is cracked and I feel soon will cause a problem or just break off completely and then I will have to deal with the bright light that will then be exposed. The pics that I found while looking your controller up look just like mine but I know that does not mean it is the correct one.

I have done some searching for mine and found some numbers that I hope @915_Tahoe can chime in about. The last 8 digits are 5R221385.

The numbers I came up with are (15-73561)..........(15-73503) which also crosses to (15832316)..........(15855848). It looks like I can still find a new one but is over $500. I am ok with getting a new one but just want to be sure it is the right new one.

Sure thing! Just to clarify, part # for the controller, or the actuator?

ETA: nevermind, i re-read your post and answered my own question. P/N for the controller I got is 15185639. I too came across a lot of conflicting part #s when researching which one I needed. Finally I just said screw it and went with whatever the yard had. Figured since they had a 90 day warranty I wouldn't be out anything if it didn't work. Luckily it did.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It may be that the # you ended up with is for a Yukon that the # I came up with is not the same. I have reached out to @915_Tahoe for help on this and he is very good about getting back about these types of things. Thanks for your reply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71

Latest posts