Workin at the carwash, yeah!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I do remember the old leather chamois that we used as a kid when washed the family vehicles. You get good hand and wrist strength built up from all the twisting to squeeze the water out of them.

StrkAliteN

Reaction score
Let's see your carwash pics and hear about your setup. My goal is to never ever run the '21 through a traditional carwash as long as I own it but what is everyone else doing? I start with a good washdown using a honda pressure washer to get the crud off then go 3 bucket technique. Wash the wheels and tires first, douse it with Adams Polish mega foam using a foam gun hooked to the pressure washer then scrub her down with a Chemical guys microfiber wash mitt utilizing a soap bucket and a rinse bucket. Good rinse then dry her off with a Dreadknot microfiber drying towel. Only thing I'd like to add to the mix is maybe an air cannon to knock the heavy water off first...Long term goal is to build an indoor/covered space at my house so I can wash like this year round, rain or shine.
View attachment 361385View attachment 361386
Looks great ! Nice looking GMC you have there ( my retired GM plant father thanks you )

I just use old school garden hose - 5 gal bucket with warm water and generic car wash solution and a Costco car wash brush I bought 10 years ago.

Had my Yukon for 15yrs and I am positive it ain't never been thru an auto car wash ( I am too cheap to pay $15 to wash it that way - hahaha )

Last edited:
OP
OP
R32driver

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just use old school garden hose - 5 gal bucket with warm water and generic car wash solution and a Costco car wash brush I bought 10 years ago.
This is basically how I've washed cars my entire adult life until this new yukon came along. Found my normal soap (Meguiars gold class) will not produce any suds on this beast now that it had a ceramic polish applied. Literally no suds. Did some research and now I've totally geeked out on how the big boys are washing their rides and my ocd has gone into overdrive. No more brushes, hand wash using microfiber wash mitt and PH neutral soap only. Hand washing rims with dedicated wash mitt and bucket only to be used on rims (although I've kinda always done that for the most part) and now this foam gun is an obsession. Cannot just dump some soap in a bucket and go anymore. I've turned car washing into a full on hour plus project.

And still my cars are dirty the first time they go anywhere. I live on a farm with mostly gravel driveways so that certainly doesn't help. I still enjoy cleaning my cars even if it's basically an act of futility. There's something strangely satisfying about the crazy thick lather the foam gun creates...
IMG_3758.jpg

MADPINTO08

Reaction score
I just try not to wash and instead give my tahoe a full wipe down daily microfiber towels and some mist wax… stays very shiny

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depends on which vehicle.

most of them have been through an auto wash, but all of mine are also 20years old with 200k+ on average so i dont tend to get in a big yank about it.

however they only usually go through an autowash in the winter ( touchless if we can) just to keep the bulk salt off. otherwise is like most with a one bucket, wash, shammy off, and sometimes a wax.

i do have a couple that are only washed by mother nature, but these are the exception. like my tahoe, it is a 230k $1,000 beater that i bought with a caved in quarter panel and peeling clear and paint. is my daily to bathe in salt for winter, and is used like a truck in summer, i have had 1,500# of scrap in the back to include a complete motor/trans.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washing the car is my zen time, the kids DO NOT get to "help"
Me too! I thought I was the only one. However I made a horrible mistake on Sunday taking it to the manual car wash. The damn brush hose kept slapping the sides of my Yukon and now I have scratches ALL around it! So disgusted and vow to never ever to do that again. Luckily they are not deep scratches and I should be able to smooth most of them out.

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to use the DIY carwash with my own bucket and brush/sponge. There's never a line so no one has to wait behind me, I've done it at home before but I have a gravel driveway that collects all the water at the end by the road. You have to wait several hours for the water to dry up or you'll be driving through mud.

Denali Brad

Reaction score
Let's see your carwash pics and hear about your setup. My goal is to never ever run the '21 through a traditional carwash as long as I own it but what is everyone else doing? I start with a good washdown using a honda pressure washer to get the crud off then go 3 bucket technique. Wash the wheels and tires first, douse it with Adams Polish mega foam using a foam gun hooked to the pressure washer then scrub her down with a Chemical guys microfiber wash mitt utilizing a soap bucket and a rinse bucket. Good rinse then dry her off with a Dreadknot microfiber drying towel. Only thing I'd like to add to the mix is maybe an air cannon to knock the heavy water off first...Long term goal is to build an indoor/covered space at my house so I can wash like this year round, rain or shine.
View attachment 361385View attachment 361386
What is an Air Cannon? I use a leaf blower, but is there something better?

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645