Another new owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
New 2011 Suburban owner here. Since buying mine I have found that Suburban owners are very friendly. You can strike up a conversation at the gas station or camp ground “what year is yours” and once they know you are talking about their Suburban they will tell you how long they have had it, how many they have owned, and what they like and dislike. They are proud owners!

I had planned to buy a new 2021 or 22 Denali with the 6Cyl Turbo Diesel as a retirement present for myself and did start reading the reviews on this site. But with the chip shortage, low availability and so forth I started thinking about a used Suburban after I saw a review on Hoovie’s Garage. I happened to be taking my wife’s car to the carwash when I saw a Suburban ahead. As I passed I looked directly at it to see if I could make out the model year as I was a new looker at the time. I saw a small for sale sign in the front window you would only see if you looked directly head on. So I stopped ‘just to check it out’.

It was a 2011 with 94K miles, clean as a whistle, with new tires, brakes, rotors, oil, and filter. I was thinking, heck this looks like new, fits the bill, I could dump thousands into it and still be $60K ahead! In fact I could spend $5K right off the bat and have money in my pocket from the sales tax I would save versus buying the new one. So I bought it! Then I casually told my wife while I was riding her Subaru through the car wash.

If I had read about the Z55 suspension I might have had second thoughts because the Service Suspension message did come on during the test drive but it turned out to be the left front level sensor. I replaced both as they we cheap and easy. I also then did the level relearn with my scan tool. Easiest job ever.

There wasn’t really anything else to fix on it so I kept myself busy by replacing spark plugs, wires, all fluids (man this thing has more fluids than anything I have ever owned), and the front door weather stripping which really didn’t need replaced but was a little worn.

I’ve also upgraded speakers and added a subwoofer in the back. I couldn’t get anything out of whatever subwoofer is in the console. I also installed a Jenson CAR910W because I wanted wireless carplay. That is a great radio and pairs well with the Suburban. It is a good replacement for the 15 year old OEM design. I plan to move it up and back a little so it looks more integrated. That with some initial sound deadening and BAM the Suburban has the best sound!

This is a great forum. One question, are the Z55 shocks/struts a wear item that we replace at 100,000 miles or just if/when they leak?Suburban.jpgIMG_3360.jpg

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

I just re-installed the entire Z55 suspension system on my truck, as the previous owner stripped it out and put cheap shocks/struts and resistors into it. These are expensive components, and my advice to you regarding replacement is do not replace them until they leak.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New 2011 Suburban owner here. Since buying mine I have found that Suburban owners are very friendly. You can strike up a conversation at the gas station or camp ground “what year is yours” and once they know you are talking about their Suburban they will tell you how long they have had it, how many they have owned, and what they like and dislike. They are proud owners!

I had planned to buy a new 2021 or 22 Denali with the 6Cyl Turbo Diesel as a retirement present for myself and did start reading the reviews on this site. But with the chip shortage, low availability and so forth I started thinking about a used Suburban after I saw a review on Hoovie’s Garage. I happened to be taking my wife’s car to the carwash when I saw a Suburban ahead. As I passed I looked directly at it to see if I could make out the model year as I was a new looker at the time. I saw a small for sale sign in the front window you would only see if you looked directly head on. So I stopped ‘just to check it out’.

It was a 2011 with 94K miles, clean as a whistle, with new tires, brakes, rotors, oil, and filter. I was thinking, heck this looks like new, fits the bill, I could dump thousands into it and still be $60K ahead! In fact I could spend $5K right off the bat and have money in my pocket from the sales tax I would save versus buying the new one. So I bought it! Then I casually told my wife while I was riding her Subaru through the car wash.

If I had read about the Z55 suspension I might have had second thoughts because the Service Suspension message did come on during the test drive but it turned out to be the left front level sensor. I replaced both as they we cheap and easy. I also then did the level relearn with my scan tool. Easiest job ever.

There wasn’t really anything else to fix on it so I kept myself busy by replacing spark plugs, wires, all fluids (man this thing has more fluids than anything I have ever owned), and the front door weather stripping which really didn’t need replaced but was a little worn.

I’ve also upgraded speakers and added a subwoofer in the back. I couldn’t get anything out of whatever subwoofer is in the console. I also installed a Jenson CAR910W because I wanted wireless carplay. That is a great radio and pairs well with the Suburban. It is a good replacement for the 15 year old OEM design. I plan to move it up and back a little so it looks more integrated. That with some initial sound deadening and BAM the Suburban has the best sound!

This is a great forum. One question, are the Z55 shocks/struts a wear item that we replace at 100,000 miles or just if/when they leak?View attachment 352887View attachment 352888
Welcome JC! The Z55s rear air shocks seem to have a service life of about 8 or 9 years generally. If they are not replaced soon after the shocks fail, the compressor burns itself out.

Sounds like you have a good scan tool, can it also talk to the Body Control Module? A bi-directional scan tool is a must for proper diagnosis and testing and checking on things before they break.

Glad to have ya, keep posting! Does she have a 2-speed transfer case with 3.42 gears?

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Z55 is actually a great suspension, until it isnt..

But fixing it is really easy, I rebuilt it on my Escalade. It is a bit expensive, but well worth it if you can turn a wrench. Costs right around 400-800 depending on where you get the shocks, and if you need a compressor.

Rig looks good and clean!

Welcome!

OP
OP
justchecking

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thought I would post an update after owning the Suburban 6 months. I've added 12,000 miles to the odometer and about 3,000 of those miles were towing a 5000Lb camper with 600-800Lb tongue weight. I am at 106,000 now. Previous hunting trip the Service Suspension notice came on and I determined after pumping up the shocks that they were only holding air about 15 seconds so one side or the other had blown out. I ordered two new GM shocks and then also decided to replace the air pump since I was going to be working back there. Arnott bought the old cores so total repair was about $600. This past week towed the camper 250 miles for Ohio deer gun and all was fine.
Since I had to take the wheel liners out I decided to add some sound deadening to the arch and flat spot on the side that faces the sheet metal (not the tire side). I think it did cut down some highway tire noise, and not a placebo.
I am still happy with the purchase since myself and my hunting buddies have put a couple of dings on the outside and trashed the inside with mud, leaves, sticks, dirt and jerky package tops... that would be harder to accept on a brand new one!
I noticed today that the business I bought this one from has a brand new red one out front. I will stop and take a closer look at what they bought. Maybe in 5-10 years when I am done with this Suburban I will try to buy that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC