Wife wants a smaller GM SUV, what's good and what should we stay away from?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
gooffeyguy
Reaction score
And we also purchased a 5yr 60k mile bumper to bumper warranty that covers everything except normal wear items like tires/brakes/wipers.

Figured with my wife's driving it'd pay for itself in repairing wheel rim curb rash and windshield repairs, lol.

Plus anything mechanical that may go out. This thing looks like a ***** to work on. Engine is mounted sideways with trans on drivers side. It's not a conventional AWD system like we have, but will default to FWD if the spare is installed or there is some other problem like with the transfer case.

Good news though, the carfax showed all the oil/filter changes since new and they've been about every 7k miles.
New tires were installed 2 years ago (Yokohamas) and the wheels are 20x7.5

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well here's some pics I just took this evening after she got home from work. It's been cold and rainy here the last couple days.

My daughter said we need to come up with new names for the vehicles because I usually call the Yukon "Denali", and she has a hard time remembering Acadia, so I said mom's car shall be called "mini-me", because it's a mini version of my Yukon Denali, lolView attachment 366393

View attachment 366394

View attachment 366395

View attachment 366396

View attachment 366397
Looks terrific! Congrats!

OP
OP
gooffeyguy
Reaction score
So after owning and driving for 3-4 days my wife loves it. She still hasn't messed too much with all the apps/settings on the radio display or setup her phone to the bluetooth, lol.

Its getting decent mileage, about 20mpg for her back and forth to work the last few days. It only requires 87 octane and is NOT E85 compatible, only up to E15.

I'm a bit up in the air with it. It rides nice and is quiet, but it has a totally different feel than a Yukon/Tahoe. I guess the combination of a unibody chassis and transverse mounted V6 makes it feel like I'm driving a front wheel drive car and makes me forget I'm in a mid-sized SUV.

Yesterday the "Service TPMS" alert came on, and when scrolling through the DIC at the tire pressures, looks like one of the sensors went dead. I tried a relearn with my tool and all went well until I got to the right rear and I couldn't get it to activate. I'll have to take it and have a new sensor put in that wheel.

Also, the right side 3rd row seat belt is stuck extended and won't retract. That was my fault, I was back there messing with the seats and pulled it out and can't get it to go back in no matter how slow/fast I pull or what angle I do it at. I may have to pop the trim off so I can access it and whack it or something, lol

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
It also came with the GMC all weather heavy rubber floor mats for the front, middle row, 3rd row and part of the aisle, and cargo area
View attachment 366398

View attachment 366399

View attachment 366400

View attachment 366401

View attachment 366402

Nice looking ride! :beer:

I wish ours had the dark interior, it's light grey.
Hard for me to keep looking pretty. :jester:

On these, I like how the captain chairs adjust, and the tilt back function is much more comfortable than the ones that come in our full sizes.
And if you're ever looking for the battery, it's under the floor mat on the passenger side, right in front of the second row's captain's chair.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Its getting decent mileage, about 20mpg for her back and forth to work the last few days. It only requires 87 octane and is NOT E85 compatible, only up to E15.

This has the 3.6?
On ours it's premium, maybe it's a Buick thing. :think:
Be careful with the regular if it's a 3.6

OP
OP
gooffeyguy
Reaction score
This has the 3.6?
On ours it's premium, maybe it's a Buick thing. :think:
Be careful with the regular if it's a 3.6
Yes, 3.6l

I also noticed in the owners manual that it takes the PF63 oil filter, which is the long version of what our 5.3/6.2 takes. I find that odd, smaller engine taking a larger filter.

I actually think it's longer only because of where it's located and is only reachable from the top side. The extra length makes it stick out past the exhaust manifold which is above it. With a shorter filter access would be blocked by the exhaust manifold.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Yes, 3.6l

I also noticed in the owners manual that it takes the PF63 oil filter, which is the long version of what our 5.3/6.2 takes. I find that odd, smaller engine taking a larger filter.

I actually think it's longer only because of where it's located and is only reachable from the top side. The extra length makes it stick out past the exhaust manifold which is above it. With a shorter filter access would be blocked by the exhaust manifold.

Yeah, and there is this fun little cup thing under the filter.
Make sure you wipe that thing clean before you try screwing on a filter.
I had some crud on the gasket this one time, and it was leaving puddles.

I noticed it one morning in our driveway, then hit the security cameras and watched it puddle while she was warming up the car :chair:

I ended up driving up to her work to fix it.
I was picturing low oil pressure and possible fire. :jester:

And i run that filter now for the Tahoe.
it also has a higher pressure filter bypass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645