Wife wants a smaller GM SUV, what's good and what should we stay away from?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Test drove the 2017 Acadia this evening. We really liked all the options and features it has, and was in really good shape.

Only thing we're not sure about was that it shuddered on us twice for a couple of seconds. Both times we were doing about 35mph coasting down a hill and as soon as I gave it gas and started accelerating we could feel a slight shudder. It would stop if I let off the gas or gave it more gas causing it to downshift.

Not sure if this is a trans problem, AFM deactivating, or something else.

Might be normal, read up on it.
Sonnax website might have some articles

I read about an issue with one of the 6 speeds that did that.
Some feature of the o2 test or something along those lines.

OP
OP
gooffeyguy
Reaction score
Might be normal, read up on it.
Sonnax website might have some articles

I read about an issue with one of the 6 speeds that did that.
Some feature of the o2 test or something along those lines.
I've been searching on the net and on forums. I've read about issues with torque converters and/or wave rings in the trans, but that was mostly on older (pre 2012) models.

One post I found on a 2017 ended up being that with age the trans pressures start dropping and it causes the converter to disengage/engage. Turning on tow/haul mode eliminates this because the pressures are higher. The fix is a new valve body or something in the trans.

We're going to go look at another this evening with about the same mileage and options, although this one is a Denali, the only real difference between the Limited we drove is dual exhaust, wood steering wheel, and the addition of cooled seats.

At least now I've done a bit of research on these possible problems and have a bit of an idea of what to look for

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I've been searching on the net and on forums. I've read about issues with torque converters and/or wave rings in the trans, but that was mostly on older (pre 2012) models.

One post I found on a 2017 ended up being that with age the trans pressures start dropping and it causes the converter to disengage/engage. Turning on tow/haul mode eliminates this because the pressures are higher. The fix is a new valve body or something in the trans.

We're going to go look at another this evening with about the same mileage and options, although this one is a Denali, the only real difference between the Limited we drove is dual exhaust, wood steering wheel, and the addition of cooled seats.

At least now I've done a bit of research on these possible problems and have a bit of an idea of what to look for

spark plugs is also an "intake off" event.
fyi. :)

it doesn't look too bad.
+ I want to do the updated valve cover gasket anyways.
On the year we have that should reduce the amount of oil that ends up in the catch can.
(timing chain is directly under the pcv)

And if you hear a clicking or tapping sound coming from the front driver side of the engine, it's the high pressure fuel pump.
At least it is on our 2011.

OP
OP
gooffeyguy
Reaction score
Welp, we bought the Arcadia Denali

Went and test drove it. Rode and drove great, and no shuddering at all. This thing is nice, and in great condition.

I played with all the switches and operated all the windows and sunroof and folded mirrors in and out making sure everything works. This also has the big rear sunroof, although it doesn't open.

The wife drove it home and I followed in the Yukon.

It's like a mini Yukon Denali, even almost the same color (iridium metallic) which is dark Grey, but just a shade lighter than my Yukon carbon flash metallic.

Has HID headlights and some pimp ambient red pinstripe lighting along the dash and the DENALI on the door sills light up red when the door is open, lol.

I'll get some pics up sometime tomorrow, it's too dark now

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welp, we bought the Arcadia Denali

Went and test drove it. Rode and drove great, and no shuddering at all. This thing is nice, and in great condition.

I played with all the switches and operated all the windows and sunroof and folded mirrors in and out making sure everything works. This also has the big rear sunroof, although it doesn't open.

The wife drove it home and I followed in the Yukon.

It's like a mini Yukon Denali, even almost the same color (iridium metallic) which is dark Grey, but just a shade lighter than my Yukon carbon flash metallic.

Has HID headlights and some pimp ambient red pinstripe lighting along the dash and the DENALI on the door sills light up red when the door is open, lol.

I'll get some pics up sometime tomorrow, it's too dark now
Should have a HUD too! GMC reserved that feature for the Acadia when our 900s were in production.

OP
OP
gooffeyguy
Reaction score
Should have a HUD too! GMC reserved that feature for the Acadia when our 900s were in production.
Yup, it does. I like it, but my wife turns it off, lol

Also has Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Alert, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, and all the usual things the yukon has, like side blind zone, parking assist, stabilitrack, etc

Last edited:
OP
OP
gooffeyguy
Reaction score
Well here's some pics I just took this evening after she got home from work. It's been cold and rainy here the last couple days.

My daughter said we need to come up with new names for the vehicles because I usually call the Yukon "Denali", and she has a hard time remembering Acadia, so I said mom's car shall be called "mini-me", because it's a mini version of my Yukon Denali, lol20220324_164050.jpg

20220324_164102.jpg

20220324_191902.jpg

20220324_191916.jpg

20220324_191935.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gudmat