Wife wants a smaller GM SUV, what's good and what should we stay away from?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Just saw your 1st post. It coincided with me thumbing through this article.

I told the wife that at 6’3” and our giraffe girls there’s no way we’d make it anywhere without all of us hanging our legs out the windows in a smaller truck. I mentioned the motor issues and she was thankful because she almost pulled the trigger on one exactly like that. After 2 YXL Denali it’s like home to have the same style lines of the Denali trim in a smaller footprint.

Your 5 year warranty is peace of mind and will save a piece of your wallet if something goes sideways. Nice job, happy wife …

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Same engine as the V6 Camaro.
Its issues seem to be with the extended oil changes and poor oil change decisions.
Early models have a poorly sized pcv on the rear cylinder head + a valve cover design that allows oil to be slung directly into the pcv intake.

I watched a few videos when looking at the one we bought.
even before we bought it, I was aware of its issues.

Reminds me, I need to use the ol tech2 to set the oil life monitor @ 60 or 70% instead of going with the 100%. :jester:

That way the wife will bug me about the oil changes sooner.
:cool:

I'm planning to do her spark plugs this summer/fall.
that's an intake off event, so I'm also planning to update the valve cover gasket while I'm in there.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
@TollKeeper turned me on to another forum, GMTNation, after I bought a downsized version of my Tahoe. I bought a 2002, first year for them, TrailBlazer and after doing the water pump, known weak spot, and fixing a couple of small things and a complete fluid changeover, this 70k miles rig is purring right along. It has 2wd, AWD or 4wd selection and yes, the 70k miles on the odometer was able to be documented and no wrecks. The thing I also noticed was no leaks anywhere after taking care of the water pump. Not saying that it would be what the OP was looking for but my girl is happy with it and she can see better than when driving my Tahoe. Plus, it has the G80 and has the gear I wish I had in my Z71, 3.73 gears.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@TollKeeper turned me on to another forum, GMTNation, after I bought a downsized version of my Tahoe. I bought a 2002, first year for them, TrailBlazer and after doing the water pump, known weak spot, and fixing a couple of small things and a complete fluid changeover, this 70k miles rig is purring right along. It has 2wd, AWD or 4wd selection and yes, the 70k miles on the odometer was able to be documented and no wrecks. The thing I also noticed was no leaks anywhere after taking care of the water pump. Not saying that it would be what the OP was looking for but my girl is happy with it and she can see better than when driving my Tahoe. Plus, it has the G80 and has the gear I wish I had in my Z71, 3.73 gears.
I would take a GMT360 over a Acadia/Traverse/Enclave. I HATE those 3.6HF engines. But good point.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
My wife is still enjoying her Buick version, the Enclave.
she had her first real taste of snow with AWD, and I didn't hear any complaints.
nor did I need to come get her unstuck.

We just hit 100k on it, and right away it got a check engine light for the evap vent solenoid that's easy to get under the hood.
replaced and two weeks later it finally cleared the code, just in time to pass emissions. :hahano: