Where did YOU run your amp power wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t let that wire lay at the edge of that hole like that. Tie it into a position that keeps space around it and use a big blob of ATV sealant or silicone adhesive to make a home made grommet there. :)

lol

C'mon, man! Give me some credit! That was on a friend's '06 Yukon he recently acquired and had me inspect it. His son (very sloppily) threw in a sound system the day after he brought the Yukon home and ran the power wire like that. I warned him of what all very well could happen if that wire stayed routed like that.

OP
OP
Splorg

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My current plan is to get a watertight connector and drill a new hole near to the harness grommet, pass the wire through there and under the dash to the center console, under that and the carpet back the trans hump - gonna bring the current sub signal wires around the driver's side trim then under the carpet to the same location and mount the all in one right on the tunnel under the second row middle seat. Plenty of clearance there, and the signal and power line will be coming in opposite directions. Lots of good ground locations around there, too.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Splorg

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE!

Boy, these battery terminals suck.

I worked and worried over the silicone (I think) boot over the positive terminal trying to get it loose to put my wire in; and imagine my surprise when I found that it's crimped. Didn't think to buy a terminal, wife is at work, my Nissan is in for service today, so I'm stuck here. So I took *yet another* brace off to remove the fuse panel cover.

And there it was - my salvation - the trailer brake circuit! I don't tow - I never ever intend to tow - if I do and wire in a brake controller I'll have to move it - but I'll be dipped if that isn't the nicest little place to add a power wire. (Since it's not a high draw "real" amplifier I'm okay with this, otherwise I'd be waiting to go the parts store and doing it correctly.)

So, in short, the battery terminals on my vehicle can go fornicate with themselves. I'll go elsewhere.

I'll let you know/post pics when the Yukon catches fire and burns.:)

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE!

Boy, these battery terminals suck.

I worked and worried over the silicone (I think) boot over the positive terminal trying to get it loose to put my wire in; and imagine my surprise when I found that it's crimped. Didn't think to buy a terminal, wife is at work, my Nissan is in for service today, so I'm stuck here. So I took *yet another* brace off to remove the fuse panel cover.

And there it was - my salvation - the trailer brake circuit! I don't tow - I never ever intend to tow - if I do and wire in a brake controller I'll have to move it - but I'll be dipped if that isn't the nicest little place to add a power wire. (Since it's not a high draw "real" amplifier I'm okay with this, otherwise I'd be waiting to go the parts store and doing it correctly.)

So, in short, the battery terminals on my vehicle can go fornicate with themselves. I'll go elsewhere.

I'll let you know/post pics when the Yukon catches fire and burns.:)

Should be a junction block on the firewall to mount the power cable to with a ring connector. And you mount it on the battery side of the fuse.

OP
OP
Splorg

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a small "Remote Jump Point" here. It's got a terminal. Is that what you mean? I had some reservations about connecting it there for some reason I can't articulate. Is that safe to do?

OP
OP
Splorg

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries - it looks like the alternator is connected to the rest of the positive side of the battery here, and it continues on to the rest of the vehicles wiring. It's not on the firewall, though.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know your truck is a different generation and I never tinkered on those. Here is where mine is, and on the OOBS & OBS trucks it is on the right side near the brake booster on the fire wall. Should have 2 studs on it.

jb.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick