Wheel alignment; speed shimmy; after new tires mounted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals,

When you had your alignments with 1.75" - 2.50" did they pop out the OEM retainers for camber and caster?

I went with suspensionmaxx 1.75" and figured they this would have changed the camber and caster if the strut is pushing the lower control arm down further, no?

Attached is the alignment before and after.

Also noticing a shake around 60-70mph range that i'm thinking is a mis-balance. My right rear is leaking about 1-2psi/day as well. Think that could be the crap oem rims or tire pressure sensor? What advice to resolve this - bring it back to the alignment/balance shop?

scan0009.jpg

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other folks will chime in one the caster/camber lift questions, as I have not lifted my truck and have very little knowledge in that area.

Regarding tire pressure loss, it is most likely coming from the bead area around the wheel, where it contacts the tire. You can have the tire removed from the wheel, and have the wheel buffed in the bead area with an air tool and a very fine polishing wheel, where it contacts the tire. I've had this procedure performed on several wheels, and the leakage was resolved every time.

OP
OP
BeenChevy

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm sure they didn't pay any attention to the seal. They didn't even calibrate the sensors, although I was billed for it.

OP
OP
BeenChevy

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct. The FR & RR where swapped in the process. There's a *special not on the invoice noting "includes TPMS Relearning. Not a big deal other than it makes them look like incompetent idiots especially when the installer took a 10 minute joy ride..

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I suspected a caster shimmy but they are even and I always say there should be a RF caster lead, like instead of 2.9 up it to 3.4, for road crown. Does it wander?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't do the math, but 1 degree toe seems excessive. Also noted your before/after numbers on rear changed, usually meaning tech bumped system to green light your ride. Toe and Go. At least he went in right direction for you.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I didn't do the math, but 1 degree toe seems excessive. Also noted your before/after numbers on rear changed, usually meaning tech bumped system to green light your ride. Toe and Go. At least he went in right direction for you.

I completely agree about the rear and may have a thrust angle problem. But the toe in is .1 degree which is fine. Not 1.0 degree.

OP
OP
BeenChevy

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the responses. Lubing up what I can find for serviceable on the suspension. Two different ball joints, a replaced UCA and CV axle on the DS.

Still, didn't have shimmy or shake before these tires M/B even driving the with previous tires the in the 15 miles to the alignment/leveled. Braking is smooth and accel is smooth but 30mph and intermittent up to 75 (different speeds) you feel it at times.

Hub bearings have been replaced and are good. Tie rods, steering, bushings all good.

Going to bring it for a rebalance and what should I request if at all on the F/R alignment?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PNWVietVet- Screwed up while posting- At least he went in right direction. Flipped before after in my head while typing. You caught it though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins