96 Tahoe Alignment extra cost question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peyton Gregory

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 96 4x4 4-door Tahoe that's lifted on 35" tires. After replacing the tie rods and some other front end components I took the truck to Firestone for an alignment. They charged me $200 for a lifetime of free alignments, which is what I was expecting to pay.

After the alignment, the technician told me it would cost an additional $250 ($125x2) to align the caster and camber because the lower control arm bolts must be removed for the adjustment. Can anyone confirm if that's accurate information and a reasonable price?

thanks!

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you do the lift yourself and what lift setup is it? maybe its specific extra cost due to the lift setup. my 97 isnt lifted and its typical alignment costs to get this done. ive also seen several different lift setups for these trucks. knuckle swaps control arm swap and such which could effect the way an alignment is done. if any of that was part pf your lift setup i can see the extra cost as at that point its no long jusy turning a cam bolt for an alignment.

OP
OP
P

Peyton Gregory

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
did you do the lift yourself and what lift setup is it? maybe its specific extra cost due to the lift setup. my 97 isnt lifted and its typical alignment costs to get this done. ive also seen several different lift setups for these trucks. knuckle swaps control arm swap and such which could effect the way an alignment is done. if any of that was part pf your lift setup i can see the extra cost as at that point its no long jusy turning a cam bolt for an alignment.

Thanks for your response. I've done all the work myself, I'm sure mechanics love hearing that. The truck has a 3inch body lift and 1.5inch torsion key lift.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
then no there should be no need to remove bolts to do the alignment. mine is getting that treatment only because the front needs replaced. but the same shop thats doing the work now has done an alignment back when i first got the truck. there was no such comment or extra charge to do my alignment. usually a pretty good shop so they could have just done the work and not said anything to me but.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could they have been talking about the knockouts? I think (might be wrong here) that the upper control arms are removed for access.

It’s been a while, but I think a shop charged me about that much for doing mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN