What size torque wrench for 5.3 oil pan and upper control arms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Sunshine Girl

Sunshine Girl

Reaction score
Here's what Haynes shows for the oil pan bolts (ft-lb unless otherwise indicated):

View attachment 374813

For a mechanical torque wrench, remember that they are most accurate at the upper end of their limits. In other words, use a torque wrench that has your desired torque in the upper half, or higher, of its torque range. You'll need to look at your desired values for each piece of work, and match the torque wrench to that.
Thank you for that

OP
OP
Sunshine Girl

Sunshine Girl

Reaction score
I got a Craftsman digital 1/2" and that has been really handy! For a consumer version, it is solid and goes high enough on torque for heavier jobs.
The meter is pretty accurate and can display the set torque in any unit you could want.

For smaller jobs, anything requiring really low torque or inch pounds, I use a smaller torque wrench from Harbor Freight.
If it is something fragile and really low torque, I'll just tighten by hand and make sure I don't get carried away.
Thank you for the info

OP
OP
Sunshine Girl

Sunshine Girl

Reaction score
Likely need two to be correct because oil pan gasket is likely inch pounds torque and I know the upper control arms will be foot pounds and I don't ever trust a foot pound torque wrench to be set at 3 foot pounds to equal 36 inch pounds. Plus, Make sure the weight of vehicle is completely on the ground before you torque the control arms. A one time buy at Harbor Freight is likely ok but maybe a little more money and buy Craftsman foreign made. IMO best is anything by Snap-On, Mac, Matco, SK, etc....but is pricey.
Thank you for all the information

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Richard A