What gears are factory and what should I run ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your Denali has 3.42 gears and if you want to have about the same effective ratio (a little lower) with 37s run the 4.56s.

You do not need to change carriers in either axle for up to 5.13 gears.

You may want to consider getting the larger rear axle from the RWD Denalis and Escalades, 2007-2013, the 9.5" 14-bolt semi-floater. That can often be had for a song at LKQ. Again, that carrier will handle up to a 5.13 gear.

Remember that those AWD transfer cases demand that the tires be within 1/8 inch in height of each other.

I was going to say there's a gear calculator online. just punch in before and after tire size and it will spit out what gear you need to run to keep the stock ratio..

going rised big tire off road is kinda like going drag racing. it's very expensive if you're not doing it yourself. Maintaining the mods also goes up a lot. as everything wears faster and breaks sooner.

both are fun thou. good luck.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to say there's a gear calculator online. just punch in before and after tire size and it will spit out what gear you need to run to keep the stock ratio..

going rised big tire off road is kinda like going drag racing. it's very expensive if you're not doing it yourself. Maintaining the mods also goes up a lot. as everything wears faster and breaks sooner.

both are fun thou. good luck.
I made a calculator with excel that's very precise and even accounts for tread depth. Here's an example of my compact one:

1688081346833.png

This is about what the OP is experiencing now:

1688081557151.png

And this is how his truck would perform with 4.10 gears:

1688081640762.png

So if you compare the before and after, you guys were correct and I was wrong about the 4.56s being more equal, the 4.10s would be more equivalent while running 37s!

That's why I made this! LOL

OP
OP
J

Jonpen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Your Denali has 3.42 gears and if you want to have about the same effective ratio (a little lower) with 37s run the 4.56s.

You do not need to change carriers in either axle for up to 5.13 gears.

You may want to consider getting the larger rear axle from the RWD Denalis and Escalades, 2007-2013, the 9.5" 14-bolt semi-floater. That can often be had for a song at LKQ. Again, that carrier will handle up to a 5.13 gear.

Remember that those AWD transfer cases demand that the tires be within 1/8 inch in height of each other.
Can you explain to me a little more what you mean the tires have to be within 1/8 of each other

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you explain to me a little more what you mean the tires have to be within 1/8 of each other
The tire heights have to be as close as possible to prevent damage to the axles and transfer case. You don't want tires on the same axle to be different heights nor do you want there to be more than 1/8 inch different in height between tires on the drive axle compared with the tires on the steer axle. This will cause the tires to be turning at different rpms causing undue stress on the clutches in the locker when engaged and in the planetary in the transfer case in your case.

OP
OP
J

Jonpen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I made a calculator with excel that's very precise and even accounts for tread depth. Here's an example of my compact one:

View attachment 402949

This is about what the OP is experiencing now:

View attachment 402953

And this is how his truck would perform with 4.10 gears:

View attachment 402954

So if you compare the before and after, you guys were correct and I was wrong about the 4.56s being more equal, the 4.10s would be more equivalent while running 37s!

That's why I made this! LOL
Does that also include having the 22x14 wheels as well ?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM under-gears nearly everything they make - trying to satisfy CAFE MpG tests and avoid fines.
... been told that 3.73 wasn’t enough for 32" tires
4.10 would DEFINITELY be better - city MpG would improve, enough to overcome the highway MpG penalty, at least for me.
... So if you compare the before and after, you guys were correct and I was wrong about 4.56 being more equal, 4.10 would be more equivalent while running 37s!
If 4.10 is 'more equivalent' to GM's OE gearing, then 4.56 would be better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BattleBorn