What gears are factory and what should I run ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 Yukon Denali and it’s lifted 7” with 22x14 on 37s , what are the factory gears and what gears should I run
rpo code list in the glove box will show the ratio but generally the denali's are 3.42 oem.
it couldn't hurt to run 3.73 but there is cost involved unless you know how to do the ring & pinion, the front diff could be swapped out for a 3.73 it would be cheaper than tearing down. need to do this on my silverado but dragging my feet
@swathdiver

AJMBLAZER

Reaction score
At least 4.56’s. You’ve gone for a much bigger and heavier tire than OEM plus the aerodynamic drag imposed by the lift.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think I would go larger than 4.10, unless you are actually running off road.

It would come down to intended use of the truck.. Is this a mall crawler with the look of off-road, or is this actually used off-road.

Not judging you here, but honesty here will help you get the best results.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
With that big a tire and the ratio difference that causes, if in town the 4.10 gears would be my choice but if off roading, a 4.46 gear. I had a purpose built 73 Blazer with 1 ton axles and I had 38" tires and only off roaded with it, trailered to trail heads, with 4.88 gears. You will have to do both ends and will get pricey.

Welcome to the forum.

OP
OP
J

Jonpen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I dont think I would go larger than 4.10, unless you are actually running off road.

It would come down to intended use of the truck.. Is this a mall crawler with the look of off-road, or is this actually used off-road.

Not judging you here, but honesty here will help you get the best results.
It doesn’t do much off-roading , so if I go to 4.10 do I have to change the carrier as well or can I just get a re gear kit , sorry not very mechanically inclined

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn’t do much off-roading , so if I go to 4.10 do I have to change the carrier as well or can I just get a re gear kit , sorry not very mechanically inclined
at 4.10 you might "maybe" find a front one out there already geared, but otherwise ring & pinion for the rear and not sure what is needed for the front but it cost's more to re-gear it than to just swap it out.
most of your cost is going to be labor parts are not that much a used front diff runs around $650 to rebuild/regear it is twice that

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 Yukon Denali and it’s lifted 7” with 22x14 on 37s , what are the factory gears and what gears should I run
Your Denali has 3.42 gears and if you want to have about the same effective ratio (a little lower) with 37s run the 4.56s.

You do not need to change carriers in either axle for up to 5.13 gears.

You may want to consider getting the larger rear axle from the RWD Denalis and Escalades, 2007-2013, the 9.5" 14-bolt semi-floater. That can often be had for a song at LKQ. Again, that carrier will handle up to a 5.13 gear.

Remember that those AWD transfer cases demand that the tires be within 1/8 inch in height of each other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman