what do i sacrifice when i crank up my keys?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smyers33

Reaction score
Would a leveling kit cause the same amount of wear as cranking the torsion bars?

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The torsion keys / leving kit is the same thing. The only way to not get a crappy ride is a true lift (differential drop)

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it may help a bit, but it will still be stiffer. When cranking up torsion bars you are just loading them up more...or making them stiffer.

ehhhhhh... .this is ... sorta true.. The only load you add to the spring is the load gained by the binds it creates and a small gain from center of balance change.....

Realistically.. doing a lift on torsion bars is the same thing as putting a leveling block on the front end of a spring truck..it doesnt ACTUALLY create more energy (greater load) aside from the aforementioned

That said.. The stiffness doesnt so much come from added load.. as much as it comes from the new found limited travel, be it from the shock.. or the suspension.. or from having it pinned to a bump stop.

Easy evidence of this is that lowering with keys makes it stiffer too.. for all the same reasons.

If you were to take a stock truck.. and draw a straight line on it from front to back.. down the torsion bar... then lift it or lower it by adjusting the keys.. the line would still be straight... if you were increasing load.. the line would be diagonal

IM NOT SAYING THAT THERE CANT BE A MINIMAL AMOUNT OF LOAD INCREASE... im saying.. that the load is NOT from turning the key.. IF THERE IS A LOAD INCREASE its from the bind created

Just sayin.

Last edited:

lilman

Reaction score
I was considering cranking my Blazer for a while now. After reading this thread it sounds like a leveling kit with blocks would be a better route to take, correct?

JLMoses

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i was gonna do a 6 inch sus lift and instead of doing a body lift to be able to put 37s under it i was gonna do the 2" torsion keys with a 2" add a leaf....but what u guys are saying here is that i will run a higher risk at breakage or wearin stuff out prematurally??

BlackedOutHoe

Low & Slow
Reaction score
i was gonna do a 6 inch sus lift and instead of doing a body lift to be able to put 37s under it i was gonna do the 2" torsion keys with a 2" add a leaf....but what u guys are saying here is that i will run a higher risk at breakage or wearin stuff out prematurally??

YES.

Also, not mentioned but dually noted is that the torsion bars will start to sag. If cranked enough, to the point also where it's noticeable.

smrr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had mine cranked only about 1 1/2 inches for a day but just couldn't take the ride it produced.
DON'T DO IT ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!
try it for yourself if you don't believe what everyone says. you will just be out an alignment.

BlackedOutHoe

Low & Slow
Reaction score
It should also be said that a little crank isn't as bad as maxxing out your torsion keys. im cranked 3/4 inch over perfectly level and i have no problems. it's all about modesty.

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
anyone that has a suspension lift also has there torsion cranked a little. whether a half inch or 2 inches but they are all cranked

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157