What do I do with my 2003 Z71 Suburban?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jocko PDX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK here is the scenario. I just bought a 23 Yukon Denali to replace my 03 Z71 Suburban. I really did not need the new one quite yet, but the exact rig I was looking for with all options was finally for sale in my area so I bought it as I had been looking for 6 months. I still have the '03 Suburban as it still runs very well, and I am driving it every day. It has 277K miles on it and does leak oil.. I would sell it, but could prob just get $3K for it. My fer is selling it to someone that needs it to run, then the tranny goes out or something like that... I would not want that. We could keep it and I could just drive it and use it on occasions that I don't want to gum up the new rig.. But there is a cost associated with keeping it mainly insurance. I also have a 95 Jeep Cherokee I inherited from the parents when they died and its too cool and clean to part with.. So I really should get rid of the Suburban. I could just drive the burb till it dies then donate it to PBS which takes them on donation.. I am somewhat attacged to it as it has been the family rig for over 20 years and has never broken down. It has been so faithful! Sorry for rambling

Attachments

• burb.jpg
    burb.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 15

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just couldn’t see myself getting rid of a paid off Z71 in running condition even if I didn’t need it. You could just continue to daily drive it to keep miles off of the 23. I can’t imagine that insurance is that much of an impact when you just bought an 80K car. Consider dropping the coverage down to liability to minimize the payment and drive it til it dies (which could possibly be never lol)

OP
OP
Jocko PDX

Jocko PDX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just couldn’t see myself getting rid of a paid off Z71 in running condition even if I didn’t need it. You could just continue to daily drive it to keep miles off of the 23. I can’t imagine that insurance is that much of an impact when you just bought an 80K car. Consider dropping the coverage down to liability to minimize the payment and drive it til it dies (which could possibly be never lol)
this is exactly what I have been doing. Still driving the '03 most days and its just a treat once a week that I buy the new rig.

03yukXL

Reaction score
I would keep it for dirty work. Towing, hauling, spare car for when people come into town. The cost to buy somebody else’s ‘03 and get it to the condition and reliability of the one you already own is way more than 3k. It’s worth more than you could sell it for. If you want to decommission it for a while you could always take the insurance off and then reinstate it when you need/want to drive it again. Pl/pd insurance on those is pretty cheap.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is exactly what I have been doing. Still driving the '03 most days and its just a treat once a week that I buy the new rig.
That's my tentative plan, I'm in the market for something newer for my wife and I'll daily the '03 and keep the Camaro in the garage. I've been on several 6hr+ trips in the '03 and it's just too damn comfortable and reliable to sell.

OP
OP
Jocko PDX

Jocko PDX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's my tentative plan, I'm in the market for something newer for my wife and I'll daily the '03 and keep the Camaro in the garage. I've been on several 6hr+ trips in the '03 and it's just too damn comfortable and reliable to sell.
The seats in the 03 can't be beat. They are like Lazy boy chairs!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts