What do I do with my 2003 Z71 Suburban?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed with ^^^^^^

If it's rust free like I assume, then just keep basic insurance on it and keep using it. Or, let it go reasonably to someone who might appreciate a clean truck that needs some maintenance. That thing would sell quickly in the midwest without rust.

mjgirard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK here is the scenario. I just bought a 23 Yukon Denali to replace my 03 Z71 Suburban. I really did not need the new one quite yet, but the exact rig I was looking for with all options was finally for sale in my area so I bought it as I had been looking for 6 months. I still have the '03 Suburban as it still runs very well, and I am driving it every day. It has 277K miles on it and does leak oil.. I would sell it, but could prob just get $3K for it. My fer is selling it to someone that needs it to run, then the tranny goes out or something like that... I would not want that. We could keep it and I could just drive it and use it on occasions that I don't want to gum up the new rig.. But there is a cost associated with keeping it mainly insurance. I also have a 95 Jeep Cherokee I inherited from the parents when they died and its too cool and clean to part with.. So I really should get rid of the Suburban. I could just drive the burb till it dies then donate it to PBS which takes them on donation.. I am somewhat attacged to it as it has been the family rig for over 20 years and has never broken down. It has been so faithful! Sorry for rambling
OK here is the scenario. I just bought a 23 Yukon Denali to replace my 03 Z71 Suburban. I really did not need the new one quite yet, but the exact rig I was looking for with all options was finally for sale in my area so I bought it as I had been looking for 6 months. I still have the '03 Suburban as it still runs very well, and I am driving it every day. It has 277K miles on it and does leak oil.. I would sell it, but could prob just get $3K for it. My fer is selling it to someone that needs it to run, then the tranny goes out or something like that... I would not want that. We could keep it and I could just drive it and use it on occasions that I don't want to gum up the new rig.. But there is a cost associated with keeping it mainly insurance. I also have a 95 Jeep Cherokee I inherited from the parents when they died and its too cool and clean to part with.. So I really should get rid of the Suburban. I could just drive the burb till it dies then donate it to PBS which takes them on donation.. I am somewhat attacged to it as it has been the family rig for over 20 years and has never broken down. It has been so faithful! Sorry for rambling
Keep it, keep it, keep it! My daily driver is a 1996 Jeep Cherokee with close to a 1/4 million miles and my trip car is my 2001 Tahoe that does 80 mph very well. Plus I still own and drive my first car from college, a 1970 Monte Carlo that I will have owned for 50 years this May.

The around town car for my wife is a 2024 Equinox.
My whole car philosophy is that it is cheaper to keep her and the car you have will always be better than any other one you could find.

Plus it is so much easier when you have more than one car to get the others serviced when you have another vehicle.

The insurance on the Jeep is real cheap, $300 a year because it is insured as an antique.

Good Luck with the Yukon! In two years I will start looking for a new Tahoe

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Knock insurance down to a reasonable minimum for the value of vehicles in your area

Or, entertain the idea of per-day as-needed insurance. I know those exist, though I have neither experience nor input on providers

For 3k.... The thing's worth more in utility than anything else. Burban has a LOT of space and it's a fairly capable vehicle. If you have a spot to keep the thing, save it for camp trips or when you need to haul around sofas or something. Or going on adventure days with muddy kids and dogs. Let the thing be the beater you take care of but also don't really care about throwing shit in.

Having a larger haul/road-trip vehicle around really frees up the opportunity for a second, more economical car. Then you're not over-buying for something that you need for edge cases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar