what do i do now?! steering sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

denali99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ordered a replacement steering sensor and went to put it in today, followed the wires to the connector to find out they have been cut about 2 inches after the connector...what do i do now? I do not see any loose or dangling wires under there. anyone go any ideas?

718frankb

LOCAL 282 TEAMSTERS
Reaction score
i would splice them in with spade connectors so its removable. what sucks is its tight under there

OP
OP
D

denali99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok i found the wires and spliced them back together. The steering feels a lil better it is still loose but is not as sensitive and is more predictable than before. should i put the new sensor in? or could the loose steering still be from something else? about 5k miles ago the idler and pitman arm were both replaced.

718frankb

LOCAL 282 TEAMSTERS
Reaction score
the steering is speed sensitive meaning at low speed its loose and higher speed its supposed to tighten up.there had to be a reason somebody cut it . i would put the new one in!

OP
OP
D

denali99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
at high speeds the steering is still loose(lots of play)to the right also the steering wheel does not want to come back straight on its own when u let the wheel go. A friend of mine works at a tire/alignment shop so im gonna take it there tomorrow and see if he can find anything loose in the front steering/suspension and if he cant find anything wrong ill replace the sensor.

Last edited:

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
I'm also in the "someone cut it for a reason" camp. You don't just arbitrarily go under your dash with cutters, and hack stuff up for no reason.... Swap it out, see what happens. Can't hurt, and it's one less variable.

Rick 98Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
where can I get a steering speed sensor? I think this will cure my problem with this, would very much like to know where to pick one up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kootamcgrabbin24