What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do want a boat. Luckily, though, the machinist said this block was in great shape. He said he's always impressed by how well old LS engines look after being cleaned up.

Also, he said they nailed whatever the LS bearings are made from. Mine had 154k, and he said they looked fine, and still had the factory finish in them. Cam bearings were bad, with #3 being extra chewed up along the edges.

it is amazing how ls main and rod bearings are almost always mint, cam bearings, complete junk.

I tell you, years ago I found a picture of some cam bearings from a zero mile crate motor, guy was swapping in a cam before putting it on the hot rod and the bearings had copper showing.

the drag race guys that play with junk yard builds just look the other way haha. if you don't see it, you don't know it's bad and it only has to run for a 1/4 mile haha.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My friend (RIP )..... would think different. ( $60 K per a 1,000 foot run )

Unless you refer to Roadkill :)

junkyard guys are a different breed. I believe it started over on the yellow bullet board. they would find old 80 smog motor 350s in the junk yard, the more miles the better, seasoned they'd call it. they did put a big turbo cam in it.

run it on good gas, hang a big turbo in something like a g body and see how fast it would go before it popped.

I believe they ran 8s before moving on to junkyard ls's. much better flowing heads but can't keep head gaskets in them to save a life. all in cheap fun back then thou

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
View attachment 428656Yay.

Machinist said the main and rod bearings were so good he would have felt bad selling me new ones. Middle cam bearings was trashed, so it was good I did more than just a head job.

The heads needed a valve job badly, and he had to spend extra time cleaning the intake ports, so he committed bead blasting the valve covers to stay under his initial quote.
Seems cam bearings going bad are a fairly common issue. Happened to mine too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oscarrgv

Latest posts