What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wheres @iamdub and his electrical gang shoutout

its not that complicated.
amps x volts = watts
150amps x 12v= 1800w

1800w/746 (1hp=746w)= 2.4hp

But the alternator doesn't "put out" that power. It just has that amount of capacity. If the vehicle is drawing 30A of load while running, the alternator, whether it has 140 or 250 amps of capacity, will still just be supporting a 30A load.

People with 4 high-output alternators in their DB drag vehicles don't need a souped-up engine to continue driving that vehicle when they're not beatin down the block. Sure, there's extra load from the longer belt snaking all around them alternator pulleys, but that's beside the point.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wheres @iamdub and his electrical gang shoutout

its not that complicated.
amps x volts = watts
150amps x 12v= 1800w

1800w/746 (1hp=746w)= 2.4hp
looks good on paper but I would speculate that to be under maximum load 100% duty
I think it's a bit more complicated though

Reaction score
I'm surprised it's that little.

You'd think then EVs would be setup to recharge anytime the wheels are spinning and not only when they're braking/slowing down

CaptainAmerica1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And it scales, so that output is at a given temp, and humidity at sea level, lots of variables to consider at any given time…starts to get complicated real quick!

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
From your other thread, Nate, are these the ones you're talking about?

Not sure how I missed this, sorry. Yup, them's the ones.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You still have to go underneath too? Or did it all through there? Just bolts in right, no shimming like on the older GM engines? That's how long it has been since I did one.

Do you have a pic of the starter removed showing that area of the block? I read somewhere there is a seal in the block behind the starter that could leak oil.
Yes, I laid underneath to remove the starter mounting bolts (2). No shimming required. Easy job. Hassle factor was at most 3/10.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove it to bring Kin to a car show, picking up my stepdad, Johnny, along the way. When he got up to walk to the Tahoe, he was unstable and dragging his right leg and foot. Said he woke up feeling strange but was feeling a lot better. He's really stubborn and proud and was literally trying to walk it off. I told him to get back in the house and called an ambulance. Kin and I followed the ambulance to the ER and, as expected, they're suspecting a mild stroke. On the ride to the hospital, Johnny told the paramedics his symptoms had just started, so they were planning on giving him a tPA as soon as he got to the ER. My brother, Justin, is an EMS Educator (awarded 2021 NAEMT Educator Of The Year, actually :)) and has access to a portal for patient cases so he saw their assessment and plan of action. In actuality, Johnny's symptoms were over four hours old, putting him well outside the three-hour safety window for the tPA and into a life-threatening danger zone had he been given it. Justin called some contacts at the hospital and advised them of the corrected timeframe. After some tests, they're now suspecting a TIA (transient ischemic attack), which is a much better case. Currently awaiting an MRI.

Also, I noticed my right turn signal hyperflashing. I was relieved to see the reflection of the turn signal on the the car in front of me. I am NOT in a position to be pulling a damned headlight assembly at the moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900