What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the tech 2 the only way to lead the abs?

Was just thinking to replace the factory rubber line on the front calipers.
But we shall see I suppose.
I haven't looked into it much, but I don't think anybody even makes stainless lines for these since they aren't track cars by any means.
It’s the only way to fully bleed/flush/purge the system. There are other OBD scanners who claim they can do the ABS bleed. They are also the same ones who claim they can do a throttle body relearn, but I have yet to see one that can do either of them fully/properly like the Tech2.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am doing this right now. I was freaking out because I thought I lost a white plunger. Now I see in your video yours is missing as well. The is the rocker switch for the rear window locks and only moves to one side so that makes sends now. PHEW!!!

My plunger shafts are all also filthy. Scrubbing those up as well. I used a lint free rag dipped in warm soapy water for these.

All my brass contacts look surprisingly clean as a whistle. Except for the last pair at the rear which are for the door locks, which IS the one giving me issues. Curious as to why it's just those two. Because they are at the rear of the switch? Higher current draw? Or because they are hardly ever used? Strange but interesting to learn. I DO notice just a little bit of crud build up on the top side of the white rubber brass contact holder. I am wondering because if this is the rear of the switch and any rain water got in there over the years causing this issue. That is my hunch. Scrubbed that as well with the warm water rag and light blow gun action.
You’ve got me curious now. My uncles Lexus has been having this intermittent problem where he can’t roll up the RH rear window from the drivers seat. I wonder if it’s because he’s left the window down in the past or if it’s gotten crud built up inside there like you mentioned. Thanks for the “lightbulb”.

RooTBeeRthe1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s the only way to fully bleed/flush/purge the system. There are other OBD scanners who claim they can do the ABS bleed. They are also the same ones who claim they can do a throttle body relearn, but I have yet to see one that can do either of them fully/properly like the Tech2.
Is here any particular tech 2 I should buy?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’ve got me curious now. My uncles Lexus has been having this intermittent problem where he can’t roll up the RH rear window from the drivers seat. I wonder if it’s because he’s left the window down in the past or if it’s gotten crud built up inside there like you mentioned. Thanks for the “lightbulb”.
Here's some pics.

IMG_3854.JPGIMG_3855.JPGIMG_3856.JPGIMG_3857.JPGIMG_3858.JPG

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are basically two options. Buy a genuine Tech 2 (used) or get a China clone. The clones sold retail by a lot of different people (most from China, a few with their cousins here in the US). My personal guess is there is one source of manufacture in China that all these different people get their product from to sell.

The genuine articles I think have better connectors, etc., but also are used. Used in shops, so... The genuine articles always seem to be 2x-4x more expensive than a new clone.

I bought my clone on eBay from a guy in China. I just picked the highest rated seller I could find (probably an oxymoron) who also had a decent price (I think I paid like $330 delivered to my door). When I bought it they quoted like 2 months delivery (which didn't seem strange when I considered how slow boats from China are). Mine came in about 7 days DHL, go figure.

My clone came with cables that had a lot of flashing around connectors that could pose problems. It also came with a few bent pins on the DB25 connector on the bottom of the hand held unit that made the CANdi module not visible (and made my Tech 2 useless). Once I found the bent pins and trimmed a few of the cables of their excess flashing with an Xacto knife, it has worked flawlessly for me.

If you knew all of the above already, my bad, just thought I would throw it out there.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure it has the 33.004 software and all the accessories for self-tests and various ways of powering it up and hooking it up. Your choice on getting the case or not.

I have used mine almost daily since 2017. In that time I have replaced the OBDII adapter a time or two, the cable, the VCI Module and even the PCMCIA card with the software on it. The Real Time Clock quit passing the self-tests years ago and changing the internal battery didn't make a difference. In reading the comments, a lot of dealerships and shops bought the same replacements parts for their "genuine" articles as I did from Amazon. Stuff wears out.

You will also want an adapter to connect the Tech-2 to a modern computer if you want to program modules. Below is the one I purchased and it is plug and play. Since then, another member located another that is plug and play also for much less but I can never remember who or what!

You do not NEED the TIS2000 software and "key". This software will work for updating GMT800 and other vintage vehicles and you can download a "snapshot" from the Tech-2 to view it on a computer screen which is nice. It is a pain to install and requires an older machine running XP or Windows 7. I have videos on my youtube channel showing this.

RooTBeeRthe1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are basically two options. Buy a genuine Tech 2 (used) or get a China clone. The clones sold retail by a lot of different people (most from China, a few with their cousins here in the US). My personal guess is there is one source of manufacture in China that all these different people get their product from to sell.

The genuine articles I think have better connectors, etc., but also are used. Used in shops, so... The genuine articles always seem to be 2x-4x more expensive than a new clone.

I bought my clone on eBay from a guy in China. I just picked the highest rated seller I could find (probably an oxymoron) who also had a decent price (I think I paid like $330 delivered to my door). When I bought it they quoted like 2 months delivery (which didn't seem strange when I considered how slow boats from China are). Mine came in about 7 days DHL, go figure.

My clone came with cables that had a lot of flashing around connectors that could pose problems. It also came with a few bent pins on the DB25 connector on the bottom of the hand held unit that made the CANdi module not visible (and made my Tech 2 useless). Once I found the bent pins and trimmed a few of the cables of their excess flashing with an Xacto knife, it has worked flawlessly for me.

If you knew all of the above already, my bad, just thought I would throw it out there.
No, I appreciate the info. I really don't know much about the tech 2.
I really wanted one back in '07 when I had my supercharged cobalt, but I couldn't find one anywhere at the time. Everybody said only the dealer had them. ‍♂️
Haven't looked at trying to get one since then.
Make sure it has the 33.004 software and all the accessories for self-tests and various ways of powering it up and hooking it up. Your choice on getting the case or not.

I have used mine almost daily since 2017. In that time I have replaced the OBDII adapter a time or two, the cable, the VCI Module and even the PCMCIA card with the software on it. The Real Time Clock quit passing the self-tests years ago and changing the internal battery didn't make a difference. In reading the comments, a lot of dealerships and shops bought the same replacements parts for their "genuine" articles as I did from Amazon. Stuff wears out.

You will also want an adapter to connect the Tech-2 to a modern computer if you want to program modules. Below is the one I purchased and it is plug and play. Since then, another member located another that is plug and play also for much less but I can never remember who or what!

You do not NEED the TIS2000 software and "key". This software will work for updating GMT800 and other vintage vehicles and you can download a "snapshot" from the Tech-2 to view it on a computer screen which is nice. It is a pain to install and requires an older machine running XP or Windows 7. I have videos on my youtube channel showing this.
Thank you very much!
I'll have to look around a bit then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE