What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, the conversion to use natural gas would now be very easy.
That’s right. The kit is technically a tri-fuel kit, so the generator can now run on propane, natural gas, or gasoline. I made some modifications to my installation today to make it easier to manage and more componentized. I relocated the low pressure valve to next to the regulator on the propane cylinder, and added quick connects and a 25 foot hose. Now we can run the generator in our neighbor’s campsite and ours will be nice and quiet. :p

2DE08F22-F16D-4390-91AA-200C632AB524.jpeg78F77DB2-32A2-45CC-8A56-B1F23092CD63.jpeg

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My favorite places in the world. But the kids haven’t been there yet so we’re stoked for the trip. We’ll post pics for sure, and look forward to yours!

It's a beautiful place for sure. Hoping to snap some decent pics in the Tetons for sure. I'm gonna have to dust off the real cameras and get familiar with them again. It's been a couple years. Looking to add some LEE graduated filters and Lee polarizer for the trip. Still reading on what I need. They are pricey so I only want to buy them once

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, we went to Walmart to get some burger fixin's. When we got back in the Tahoe, I was greeted with a low tire warning. It had 21 psi in it and only lost 2 psi on the drive home. Around 5:30, it was down to 16, so it was dropping kinda fast:

IMG_6631.JPG

After dinner, around 8:30, I looked in the garage to see that it had went completely flat. I aired it up to 60 psi in hopes that it'd stay "round" through the night. This morning, around 11:30, it still had 53 psi in it.

I drove it into the shop to assess. While I had it on the lift, I decided to check on the fuel tank vent issue. I dropped the tank and was embarrassed to find this:

IMG_6638.JPG

Was it Ken @kbuskill that mentioned this vent hose routing a few weeks ago? Anyway, I routed it over the cross member when I dropped the tank the first time but failed to do so in my haste when I dropped it the second time to replace the pump assembly. I didn't have any fuel vapor-rated hose of this size so I just squeezed it back into shape and hoped there weren't any pinholes where it was creased.

Also, while I had it in the air, I swapped sides of the O2 sensors cuz I've intermittently gotten a P1153 (Heated Oxygen Sensor Insufficient Switching Bank2 Sensor 1). They're Denso sensors and were new when I did the engine work 8,000 miles ago. I hope the problem follows cuz I'd much rather replace a faulty O2 sensor than have a fueling issue. Time will tell.

I removed the tire and rolled it to the water hose. The first place on the tire where I plopped the soapy rag showed bubbles. It was small and in the center of the tread, so easily fixable. I reinstalled it and headed to the local tire shop to get patched. After that, I went to Exxon to fill up. I was able to lock the nozzle at WOT and take a short "success" video to send to Jenn. She's been driving it and her tiny wrists don't do so well with holding the nozzle handle at the magic point between trickling fuel in or none at all. I just hope I get no EVAP leak codes. Although, I did disable all that I could find in HPT's list.

The guy that does my yearly inspection almost didn't wanna pass me last year because of my tint. They got busted so he was skittish. Since I've been to him for the past few years and even helped him a little on his turbo'ed F body and his dad's flood salvage Yukon, he knew I wasn't a narc and passed me. I don't wanna press my luck again this year but I don't have time at the moment to find another inspection station. My current sticker expired the last day of June, so I gave myself a three-month extension:

IMG_6641.JPG

IMG_6642.JPG

I could've done a little better with the X-Acto knife work, but it was hot as hell in the shop and I just wanted to be done. I couldn't find the Wite-Out, so I used an old white paint marker to fill in the mismatched edges. It's a 10-footer job.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s right. The kit is technically a tri-fuel kit, so the generator can now run on propane, natural gas, or gasoline. I made some modifications to my installation today to make it easier to manage and more componentized. I relocated the low pressure valve to next to the regulator on the propane cylinder, and added quick connects and a 25 foot hose. Now we can run the generator in our neighbor’s campsite and ours will be nice and quiet. :p

View attachment 344001View attachment 344002
I’ve been thinking about a larger, 8kw or so, genset for use at home. I have a natural gas tap for a grill on my deck. it’d be a good location for a machine in case of a 7 day ice storm for example.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about a larger, 8kw or so, genset for use at home. I have a natural gas tap for a grill on my deck. it’d be a good location for a machine in case of a 7 day ice storm for example.
Well duh, I mean you ARE in Texas. Grid separation and all. Kidding, that was terrible last winter. Did you lose power?

Last edited:

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last house I had before our current home, had a big old propane powered Generac, like 40KW with transfer switches, the works. The guy who owned it before me was a kind of prepper type. When I moved in I thought it was nuts spending all that money on a backup generator. We lived there for three years and had maybe 6 power outages. Only a few did we even know we had a power outage.

I didn't do that with the house we just built, we have already had 3 very long outages in the first year. I am thinking about it right now. :)

RooTBeeRthe1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freeway, cruising home, back to normal weight after running around 10k gross or so for 200miles through some hills mostly 85ambient.
Whole trip was around 500mi.
... She really didn't like the 91. Tried to throw a maf code, and threw a couple oxygen sensor codes at me. Which I never had at all running corn.
But damn if it doesn't get me a lot further down the road on a tank!IMG_20210705_184121919.jpg

RooTBeeRthe1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 344001View attachment 344002
How do you like that predator?
Borrowed my dad's for the trip, barely ended up using it though.
IMG_20210701_093859509.jpg

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you like that predator?
Borrowed my dad's for the trip, barely ended up using it though.
View attachment 344044
For the money it's great, but it ain't a Honda. I've had 2 problems with it in 1 year and about 150 hours: 1/ If you overfill the gas tank and then run it in the hot sun, the fuel vapors from the tank will saturate the charcoal canister (thanks CARB), effectively enriching the mixture enough to shut the generator down. The solution if running on gasoline is to only fill the tank to about a pinky-width below the filler neck, or delete the charcoal canister and vent the tank through the case. 2/ The oil sensor wire goes through the side of the crankcase, and the quality control on the sealing job at the factory is spotty, so some will leak slightly, wicking oil down the braided wire to the ignition module directly below it where the wire plugs into a poorly sealed circuit board, eventually shorting it out. Poor design, coupled with poor QC. The solution is to replace the board with a new one when it happens, and either seal the wire properly, or simply unplug it and tie it off, making sure to check your oil diligently.

Glisella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On Saturday after getting back from a week away I took my 08 for a drive after it sitting and noticed something was wrong with the front passenger wheel...vibration at 40mph but not slower or while applying brakes, car felt like it was pulling to that side and saw some smoke through windshield. Wasnt far from home yet so I went back and jacked it up, pads look like volcanic rock (prob from the heat), one of two pistons in caliper frozen and the other was leaking fluid from the rubber boot. So ordered new caliper and pads from RA, they arrived this morning and I installed. All well now. Old pads from affected side on the top, old pads from driver side bottom.

Attachments

• 20210706_154021.jpg
    20210706_154021.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210706_141638.jpg
    20210706_141638.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210706_141622.jpg
    20210706_141622.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210706_154015.jpg
    20210706_154015.jpg