What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my Tahoe has a vibration at 70+mph. My new wheels/tires were just Road Force balanced so I'm hesitant to believe they're the issue (plus the vibrate WAY less than my old wheels/tires). I have records that my lower ball joints were replaced 50k miles ago. are there any other high-wear ball joints or bushings I should look for? Thanks!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my Tahoe has a vibration at 70+mph. My new wheels/tires were just Road Force balanced so I'm hesitant to believe they're the issue (plus the vibrate WAY less than my old wheels/tires). I have records that my lower ball joints were replaced 50k miles ago. are there any other high-wear ball joints or bushings I should look for? Thanks!
Is this a new condition or has it been doing this for awhile? Do you feel it more in the steering wheel or in your seat?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ball joints or any other worn suspension or steering component won't cause a vibration.

Does the vibration feel like it's more in the body or the steering wheel? You can swap the wheels front-to-back to see if the vibes change. Even though the wheels may be perfectly round and perfectly balanced, this was done with them on a machine. They may not be mounted perfectly straight on your flange(s) or the flange(s) may be bent.

Worn U-joints can cause high-speed vibes as well. They're usually high-frequency vibes and you won't feel them in the steering wheel.

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a new condition or has it been doing this for awhile? Do you feel it more in the steering wheel or in your seat?

Ball joints or any other worn suspension or steering component won't cause a vibration.

Does the vibration feel like it's more in the body or the steering wheel? You can swap the wheels front-to-back to see if the vibes change. Even though the wheels may be perfectly round and perfectly balanced, this was done with them on a machine. They may not be mounted perfectly straight on your flange(s) or the flange(s) may be bent.

Worn U-joints can cause high-speed vibes as well. They're usually high-frequency vibes and you won't feel them in the steering wheel.

Thank you both for your replies. I have been feeling it since I bought the truck 2 years ago. I chalked it up to poorly balanced wheels/tires; I just got new ones and it is 95% better (almost gone, but not quite).

It is a faint vibration in the steering wheel. I will try cleaning up the hubs with a wire brush (they were pretty rusty) and re-seating the wheels. I do want to get an alignment for the new tires, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. If its the U-joints I imagine its an expensive fix and I can just live with it.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Got annoyed by the peeling chrome on the end of my shift handle. A while back someone had some of these shift handles for sale but I can't find the thread. Can anyone else find it?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies. I have been feeling it since I bought the truck 2 years ago. I chalked it up to poorly balanced wheels/tires; I just got new ones and it is 95% better (almost gone, but not quite).

It is a faint vibration in the steering wheel. I will try cleaning up the hubs with a wire brush (they were pretty rusty) and re-seating the wheels. I do want to get an alignment for the new tires, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. If its the U-joints I imagine its an expensive fix and I can just live with it.
U-joints aren’t very expensive if you do them yourself. If you’re
mechanically inclined you can do all of them for around $100.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo