Welp broke something serious

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder which one would be best for a blown and cammed 6.0 AWD. I think I went through the deciding process a couple years back and decided on the Detroit Locker but I’m not sure now. I installed a girdle on mine to reinforce the bearing caps to help with one of the common failures.

I wouldn’t think any of the the Eaton diffs are going to break.

Maybe the electronic locker would be the way to go. Flip the switch, get it on.

I think the other bits in the third member are the ones that are going to break from too much of a good thing. ;)

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so it sounds like I should replace it soon then. I have never done it, can't be harder than a diff right? A day or less?

Yeah I do like it, feels more like a car now. When you get on it around a turn you can feel both tires getting some power and it can get kicked around much easier, which I actually like lol.

One very minor nitpick is when doing slow turns through the parking lot you can feel/hear the tires scrubbing just a little bit.

Replacing the fuel pump module? Definitely easier than a rear diff swap. Just run the tank as low as possible. If yours is having the same failure as mine, run it to 1/4 and maybe a little lower. Try a WOT launch from a stop and see if it falls flat. If so, she's "ripe for the taking". I have a lift and can have the tank down in half an hour. On your back, I'd say it's easily twice that time. Between tank removal, cleaning, swapping the pump module and reinstalling, I'd say to bank on six hours if you're not really rushing it.

All as expected. The only alternative is to get another clutch-style diff, but then you'd just be back to "par", and waiting for the clutches to wear, back to mostly one-wheel-drive, etc. I'd take a little scrubbing as a worthy compromise to having a ticking time bomb blow up when you need it most, if not just randomly.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s awesome! I’ve been thinking that when my gov- bomb goes I’ll get a Detroit Trutrack locker but I’ve always been concerned I’ll **** it up. Maybe I have a chance after all!

Unless the install is REALLY bad, you won't have any premature wear or failure for quite a while. It's not difficult work, just tedious and precise and requires lots of re-doing.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good breakdown here. Seems for daily driving, the truetrac is the choice. Weekend drag car/cruiser, the locker could take the edge there.

With a family-hauler on a wet road, a locker could quickly get you in trouble in a turn.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a family-hauler on a wet road, a locker could quickly get you in trouble in a turn.
I think that’s what I had in my R/T Dakota with a built 5.9. Or it might have been a solid diff. Either way that rear end snapped out from under me several times, it loved to do 360’s. Worst one was 4-5 360’s across 4 lanes of a freeway during a wet morning commute and collided with the Jersey barrier, ended up facing the wrong way. Just punched it and did a 180 in one lane and kept going to the next off ramp where I promptly called the boss and told him I wasn’t going to make it in to work. :mad:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t think any of the the Eaton diffs are going to break.

Maybe the electronic locker would be the way to go. Flip the switch, get it on.

I think the other bits in the third member are the ones that are going to break from too much of a good thing. ;)
I wouldn’t worry about the Eaton breaking, I would want the one that hooks up best. Mine does really good at that right now. Also I wouldn’t want any electronics, just like it is now. The AWD systems on this year are super reliable and that’s partly because there’s zero electronics, just the viscous coupling in the transfer case. It’s why @randeez retrofitted a TC out of one of these in his race truck.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry about the Eaton breaking, I would want the one that hooks up best. Mine does really good at that right now. Also I wouldn’t want any electronics, just like it is now. The AWD systems on this year are super reliable and that’s partly because there’s zero electronics, just the viscous coupling in the transfer case. It’s why @randeez retrofitted a TC out of one of these in his race truck.

Sounds like you know what you want after all. :)

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that’s what I had in my R/T Dakota with a built 5.9. Or it might have been a solid diff. Either way that rear end snapped out from under me several times, it loved to do 360’s. Worst one was 4-5 360’s across 4 lanes of a freeway during a wet morning commute and collided with the Jersey barrier, ended up facing the wrong way. Just punched it and did a 180 in one lane and kept going to the next off ramp where I promptly called the boss and told him I wasn’t going to make it in to work. :mad:

Buddy of mine had a '00 R/T ex-cab. It was a factory-modded demo that wasn't supposed to have been sold, but he had cash in hand and bought it straight off the carrier trailer. Bone stock, it would pull FBO single cab R/Ts. The rear end was howling by 30K miles. Them engines were rock solid, but everything around them quickly fell apart.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mine had a '00 R/T ex-cab. It was a factory-modded demo that wasn't supposed to have been sold, but he had cash in hand and bought it straight off the carrier trailer. Bone stock, it would pull FBO single cab R/Ts. The rear end was howling by 30K miles. Them engines were rock solid, but everything around them quickly fell apart.
I bought mine off a dealer lot. No R/T decals and no flares so it might have been wrecked at one point. I know I wrecked it 3 times- it would accelerate way better than it stopped. I could drift on a straight stretch of a wet freeway just by punching it. But I knew whoever owned it built the motor, it had a cam for sure and longtubes with full stainless exhaust. Not sure what else was done, I didn’t have any records. It was just plain scary to drive- dangerous enough on dry roads and plain scary on wet ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700