2012 GMC Yukon Denali Flex Fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

armyeng1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello , I am new to this forum and wanted to join because as my vehicle gets older my problems become newer. Currently I have two problems, one major problem is this constant kind of screeching noise as I drive along, I bought a rebuilt transfer case as I thought that was the problem but turns out it was not. I sounds like its coming right from under the center console but other than bearings in the area theres only the transfer case. My SUV currently has about 120K which is pathetic for GMC! My second problem is that my steering wheel squeeks, I have tried pesticides and mice control products to no avail, so it must be something mechanical?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

I cannot personally assist you with your issue, but other members of this Forum much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll see what I can help with. First off, a noise under the center console could be coming from the engine compartment, or it could be directly below it. If it's a contant noise that changes with RPM, then it could be the transmission pump (under console), or the power steering pump - driver front of motor.

I would check the fluid levels of both:
1. Engine off- check power steering level. Should be at the cold line or slightly above. OVER full will cause cavitation as it gets hot and a constant whining/growling sound.
2. Start truck and let it idle in park. Then pull the transmission dipstick and it should be at the cold level. You can also drive the truck for a few miles to warm it up and it should be in the hot range while idling in park.

You can also record a video and upload to YouTube. Then post the link and we can view it.

Also, I think it's cool as heck that you either live down there, or explore there in Mexico. I love the scenery. Are there good trails to explore?

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@armyeng1 Moved you here from intro for your issues.

Nice Denali! You got the perfect color.

Welcome from Miami&NYC!

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Hopefully you’ve just got the weird but ez to fix issues going on. Bang on the cats and exhaust lightly with a rubber mallet. See if you can duplicate the sound. It could be a loose heat shield, cat breaking up or something someone else did like a loose hose clamp holding part of the exhaust together.

The entire exhaust is stainless steel so be leary of anyone suggesting you ditch it for a cheap replacement. Also drive with the windows down alongside a wall or tunnel at low speeds to help pin point the issue. It could be motor mounts, the front diff mount bushings or a wheel center cap with a loose clip inside.

The squeaky steering wheel bushing is a common issue. Try dielectric grease. Buy some that can be squeezed in between the firewall where the orchestra lives. After a heat cycles it’ll quite those critters right down.

You live in the land of the world’s biggest speed bumps on highways. Do they still do the speed bumps that can total a car if you don’t slow down?

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from NY and happy New Year!

Good suggestions from the folks here already as you can see.

Might I add…are your u-joints greasable?
That’s one more easy thing to address before throwing the parts canon at this thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar