Welp broke something serious

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha it never ends lately. Fixed the motor problem...

Now I got a driveline problem.

Engine is feeling incredible since I fixed the tune, so I've been having some fun with it last couple days.

On a 1-2 shift, I broke something. Something is seizing up intermittently, most notable around slower turns. A terrible driveline clunk with a reduction in vehicle speed and RPM. Doesn't seem to be related to shifting at all and I still have all 6 gears. Going 60 mph down the highway is fine and the gears are shifting normally. I visually inspected the driveshaft and u-joints but didn't see anything off. Nothing is cracked or losing fluid in either the rear end or the transfer case either.

When making slow left turns it's at it's worst. Doesn't appear to do it in neutral.

Any tips on how can I rule out transfer case, driveshaft, differential??

It's really bad. I made it home from the gym, but I will be renting a car this week before it breaks more stuff. You hear it really bad around the 21 second mark.

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha it never ends lately. Fixed the motor problem...

Now I got a driveline problem.

Engine is feeling incredible since I fixed the tune, so I've been having some fun with it last couple days.

On a 1-2 shift, I broke something. Something is seizing up intermittently, most notable around slower turns. A terrible driveline clunk with a reduction in vehicle speed and RPM. Doesn't seem to be related to shifting at all and I still have all 6 gears. Going 60 mph down the highway is fine and the gears are shifting normally. I visually inspected the driveshaft and u-joints but didn't see anything off. Nothing is cracked or losing fluid in either the rear end or the transfer case either.

When making slow left turns it's at it's worst. Doesn't appear to do it in neutral.

Any tips on how can I rule out transfer case, driveshaft, differential??

It's really bad. I made it home from the gym, but I will be renting a car this week before it breaks more stuff. You hear it really bad around the 21 second mark.

Sounds like you may have blown the differential. I would think if it was the transfer broken it would not be driveable.
All gears working,does 60mph. Only has trouble at a slow turn. Sounds like diff.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have blown the differential. I would think if it was the transfer broken it would not be driveable.
All gears working,does 60mph. Only has trouble at a slow turn. Sounds like diff.

That's what I was leaning towards

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Assuming this is 4wd and not AWD. Symptoms are consistent with damaged spiders in the rear.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all will test tomorrow.

Car-Part.com has no used assemblies :-/

Any advice?

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew my power was back! Feels like it gained 100 ft/lbs since I fixed the tune after the terrible track day. Once I fix this, 100% torque management going back in lol. I was running about 50% TM and 1-2 shift was about 200ms.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA