Water Leak, Drivers Side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moviewithnotitle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is yet another water leak on the Drivers side. Kinda baffled on this one. I have never had a leak in the past. Only the drivers side footwell has water and a bunch of it.

This could have been happening for a while but not sure. I have WeatherTech mats so I never noticed the moisture on the carpet. We had a lot of rain in the last week, but I also have been away and have not driven the truck for 10days. It's not super stinky yet, so I am leaning towards this being a very new leak. I have the carpet and padding turned up and exposed to get it dried out.

I don't have a Sunroof...

What are the potential leak sources I should look for?
Windshield
Door seals
Barn Door seals

Any other sources for leaks?

Thanks, MWNT.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the door wasn’t closed all the way? Does it smell like water or antifreeze? Can you replicate it either with a hose or, if it’s a coolant leak, with it running? Is your coolant level staying the same?

OP
OP
moviewithnotitle

moviewithnotitle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked all the door seals (driver side and Bard doors) and all looks good.
We are expecting some rain today and tomorrow, so I placed some papertowel sheets around the floor by the kick panel and the firewall(carpet is turned up to dry). The idea is to see where water may be coming in. I could also speed this up by just running the hose over the truck for a little while and see it if produces anything.

Some other things I have been thinking about...
I did take a ski trip recently and was driving on snowy roads for about 4 hours to the Mtn, then all weekend, then home. After this trip I gave the truck a massive bath to get road salt and grime off of everything. I spent a ton of time rinsing the underside. Perhaps I got water in from underneath. Testing this should be easy as well.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There are some threads here about water leaks coming in under the cowling cover where the wipers attach. Remove that cover and people have found other vents/ducts/covers that are letting water in because the seals are now bad. When you say barn doors, you are talking about the rear. Do you have water on the floor from the front to the rear or just at the driver's foot well?

OP
OP
moviewithnotitle

moviewithnotitle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are some threads here about water leaks coming in under the cowling cover where the wipers attach. Remove that cover and people have found other vents/ducts/covers that are letting water in because the seals are now bad. When you say barn doors, you are talking about the rear. Do you have water on the floor from the front to the rear or just at the driver's foot well?
Good advice on the cowling. I'm going to look into that ASAP. My wifes car had a similar issue a few years ago with leaves and debris clogging a drain duct under the cowl. (why didn't i remember that earlier)

No, no water in the rear, but...I have heard of examples where the rear door seals go bad, water leaks in, travels along the headliner and down the front A-pillar to the floor. I have also heard about the 3rd Brake Light leaking and water travels down the A pillar to the floor. Just trying to cover all bases.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Good advice on the cowling. I'm going to look into that ASAP. My wifes car had a similar issue a few years ago with leaves and debris clogging a drain duct under the cowl. (why didn't i remember that earlier)

No, no water in the rear, but...I have heard of examples where the rear door seals go bad, water leaks in, travels along the headliner and down the front A-pillar to the floor. I have also heard about the 3rd Brake Light leaking and water travels down the A pillar to the floor. Just trying to cover all bases.

I get it now. Another way to try ad get an idea of where the water may be getting in at is to stuff some wadded up paper towels in different areas and see if they get wet so you can at least narrow down the route the water is taking.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And if this test is unsuccessful go with the hose while you’re in it with a flashlight. Ron is right on about the cowl. Especially with snow then a thorough spray down. Why didn’t I think of that X2

OP
OP
moviewithnotitle

moviewithnotitle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got some mild rain yesterday but no new water on the floor. She's gonna get the hose again...

I get it now. Another way to try ad get an idea of where the water may be getting in at is to stuff some wadded up paper towels in different areas and see if they get wet so you can at least narrow down the route the water is taking.
Good suggestion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011