Water Leak, Drivers Side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
moviewithnotitle

moviewithnotitle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had some a ton of rain last night and one of the paper towels was wet this morning and a small pool of water was in the rocker sill.

Here are some thoughts...
- This leak has been here a while and I never noticed because of the WeatherTech mats. The amount of water I sucked out of the carpet and padding was way more than the pic. Orders of magnitude more.
- This looks to be an issue with the Driver Door seals in some way.

I'm going to have to sit in the truck and have someone (the kid) spray the truck like crazy and see if we can locate the source.

TahoeWaterLeak.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
We had some a ton of rain last night and one of the paper towels was wet this morning and a small pool of water was in the rocker sill.

Here are some thoughts...
- This leak has been here a while and I never noticed because of the WeatherTech mats. The amount of water I sucked out of the carpet and padding was way more than the pic. Orders of magnitude more.
- This looks to be an issue with the Driver Door seals in some way.

I'm going to have to sit in the truck and have someone (the kid) spray the truck like crazy and see if we can locate the source.

View attachment 241422
The kid will enjoy that lol.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I still think it is coming from under that cowl but I could be wrong. To get past that door seal that rain would have to be as hard as a drive thru car wash. If it is the door seal there should be an obvious spot that you can see where the seal is bad or pulled away. I have a very small drip at the top center of my driver's door seal that only shows when I go thru my local car wash. I have new door seals for both front sides but am lazy.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where did you place the towels that stayed dry? Another way to check is a flashlight from outside.

OP
OP
moviewithnotitle

moviewithnotitle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FOUND IT! ...sorta

I found where the water it is actually entering the cabin area. It's the Hood Release Cable grommet at the firewall. And it was the tiniest little leak ever in the history of leaks. I soaked the drivers door and windshield for 10min with the hose and only after it sat for a few minutes, did I finally see some water pooling, but not much. I had about a dime sized pool after that. Confirming my thoughts that this leak has been around for a while and I never noticed because of the WeatherTech floormats. Not to mention, my carpet is OEM and has the rubber backing under the carpet, that separates the padding below. Which is where 99% of the water really was. Seems simple right...but no, it's more involved.

The bigger issue is how the water is getting to the grommet on the firewall. It's a two-parter. The "Cowl Drain" and the "Hood Hinge Seal"(never heard of this before). But mostly the hood hinge seal. The Hood Hinge Seal is mounted to the hood (pic below) it's a rubbery foam mounted to the hood that seals against the cowl/firewall to keep water from entering the engine compartment from up top. This location is directly over the cowl drain and the grommet. The Cowl Drain (the black plastic box thingy) has a seal from the cowl to the firewall, I'm not certain, but it appears to be leaking as well. (So +1 to whoever mentioned the cowl as the culprit, I owe you a Coke!). So between the two seals, I'm confident this is the issue and what needs to be fixed.

LMC is the only place I have found this part...but I gather its avail at the dealer or elsewhere. I will also cleanup the grommets and put some silicone around all of them to help seal things better. You have to replace the entire cable in most cases just to get a new grommet(AFAIK).

Thank you all for the advice to this point, I appreciate it.

Here are some pics...

Hood Hinge Seal (this one is dry and crumbling)
InkedIMG_20200307_155036460_LI.jpg

Where Hood Hinge Seal mates to Firewall (notice the lack of clean surface, it's not sealing to well)
InkedIMG_20200307_155042234_LI.jpg

Cowl Drain
IMG_20200307_155050312.jpg
Cowl Drain box thingy/diverter
IMG_20200307_155211726.jpg

Hood Release cable groomet (wet)
IMG_20200307_155152505.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518