Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Speaking of brakes...

When I replaced the rear brakes on the 2001 last week, I noticed when getting pads there was eith single piston or dual piston calipers. I have dual on the 2001 SLT

I looked at the 2012 rear brakes and they're only single piston. Looking online for rear brake pads there's no dual piston option, so I take it that these didn't come with the option of dual piston rear brakes.

I wonder why the gmt800s did but not the newer models?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Speaking of brakes...

When I replaced the rear brakes on the 2001 last week, I noticed when getting pads there was eith single piston or dual piston calipers. I have dual on the 2001 SLT

I looked at the 2012 rear brakes and they're only single piston. Looking online for rear brake pads there's no dual piston option, so I take it that these didn't come with the option of dual piston rear brakes.

Maybe since the gmt900's have bigger front brakes, GM thought dual rear pistons were overkill?

Reaction score
Maybe since the gmt900's have bigger front brakes, GM thought dual rear pistons were overkill?
Possibly. I do know that my 2001 goes through rear pads quicker than the front pads. I have to change them out twice as often than the fronts.
Maybe GM figured out that they weren't needed in the rear.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of brakes...

Possibly. I do know that my 2001 goes through rear pads quicker than the front pads. I have to change them out twice as often than the fronts.
Maybe GM figured out that they weren't needed in the rear.

AFAIK the 800s had twin pistons in the rear and the 900s have single. My rears are aluminum. I saw aluminum front calipers, mine are cast iron. Funny how free enterprise works, the rear hoses are 4 to 5 times the cost of the fronts and are half the size and complexity. Mine are still in excellent condition.

I think you're right Tony. I suspect that my rear pads were original when replaced around 118K. Fronts last a long time too though; with good calipers!

Reaction score
AFAIK the 800s had twin pistons in the rear and the 900s have single. My rears are aluminum. I saw aluminum front calipers, mine are cast iron. Funny how free enterprise works, the rear hoses are 4 to 5 times the cost of the fronts and are half the size and complexity. Mine are still in excellent condition.

I think you're right Tony. I suspect that my rear pads were original when replaced around 118K. Fronts last a long time too though; with good calipers!

I bought my 2001 from my father-in-law in 2007 with 65k on it. As far as I know it still had original brakes (he was original owner). In 2009 I had to put rear brakes on it. In 2016 it needed all new brakes and I replaced everything, calipers, pads, rotors. Last week it needed rear brakes.

So it seems the dual piston rears wore twice as fast as the front, in my case anyway, which is usually the other way around because the front has more weight.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 2001 from my father-in-law in 2007 with 65k on it. As far as I know it still had original brakes (he was original owner). In 2009 I had to put rear brakes on it. In 2016 it needed all new brakes and I replaced everything, calipers, pads, rotors. Last week it needed rear brakes.

So it seems the dual piston rears wore twice as fast as the front, in my case anyway, which is usually the other way around because the front has more weight.

Hope mine last as long for the next go-round! Maybe they were hanging up a little? Mine were ok, but one side hung up a little while pressing it back in with a C-Clamp. Was not noticeable in action.

We drove it to the beach to watch the storm roll in and they felt great, just like before.

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s definitely unusually that the rears brakes wear so much faster than the fronts. I wonder if anyone has changed the bias to a more conventional 70:30 and seen any improvement in braking?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamnalicea143e