1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Useless Information

Discussion in 'Performance' started by swathdiver, Oct 10, 2017.

Sponsored By: Black Bear Performance
  1. gooffeyguy

gooffeyguy Full Access Member

Name:
    Tom
    Pics or it didn't happen, lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sam Harris likes this.
  2. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    Well, the RR caliper is drying in the oven but I did take photos of some of the front brake parts.

The OE calipers were Australian, from a company called PBR Brakes USA. The new replacement Calipers and Rotors are Akebono. The new OE hoses are Flexitech.

The front and rear pistons are the same. Checking with Rene to see if the seals and gaskets are as well. When the RR caliper comes out of the oven I'll look for makers marks.

20200707_141123.jpg 20200707_141258.jpg 20200707_141503.jpg

GreyStone and Sam Harris like this.
  3. gooffeyguy

gooffeyguy Full Access Member

Name:
    Tom
    I have PBR branded calipers on my mustangs

swathdiver likes this.
  4. swathdiver

Name:
    James
    No complaints, they lasted 150K miles and stopped 13K pounds like it was nothing.

Sam Harris and DRKN57 like this.
  5. DRKN57

DRKN57 Member

Name:
    DRKN57
    That’s good use!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver likes this.
  6. swathdiver

Name:
    James
    Still sitting in the driveway on stands waiting for a part. Should arrive today and then I'll rebuild the last rear caliper and put everything back together over the weekend and get the brakes bled, hopefully they work!

GM does not list any parts to rebuild the rear aluminum calipers. But the parts to rebuild the fronts are exactly the same. So I have rebuilt one and waiting on a new bleeder screw (fine thread) to rebuild the other and get this thing back on the road.

Quite busy with home, kids, other car repairs and work so my time spent on here will be limited for a while. Haven't forgotten about you Okeechobee boys, I'll ring you all up soon when my truck has its wheels on again!

7. Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz Resident Resident

Name:
    Tony
    Take it nice n slow James. Just pace yourself buddy. We're not as young as we used to be lol.

swathdiver, Sam Harris and 89Suburban like this.
  8. swathdiver

Name:
    James
    Tell me about it Tony! Saturday wiped me out and the girls did most of the work! They changed the oil in the other two cars, a hub in the Montana and helped me finish up the truck's brakes.

Finished burnishing the brakes just after midnight last night. Took the family to dinner tonight and all seems well with the brakes. During the draining out of the old fluid and refilling with new, the ABS and manual bleed processes, we went through 5 quarts of brake fluid! Truck stops as before, pedal feels the same, pressure is still in the mid 800s but only takes in the 60s to slow the truck.

I'll come back in a few days or weeks with part numbers and torque specs like was done for the fronts for those who come along after us. Wife is now chomping at the bit for a Yukon Denali! One daughter should have enough money saved to buy a 6.2 NHT Sierra by December or January. These are hard to come by, especially in SLE trim, so it may take a few months to fine the right one. It's gotta have the trailer brake controller too! Same with the Denali!

Sam Harris, Tonyrodz and iamdub like this.
  9. swathdiver

Name:
    James
    IMG_4537.jpg

Oh, that's the current supplier for GM OE rotors. Don't recall maker's marks on the ones from last year but will check again before using them as weights.

Sam Harris likes this.
  10. swathdiver

Name:
    James
    For anyone coming along later on and needs some part numbers:

Brake Caliper, Rear, Left = 84191288
    Brake Caliper, Rear, Right = 84191287

I did not buy these new calipers but am providing the numbers for reference.

The pistons come 1 to a box, the seal and boot kit will service two pistons. The bleeders for the rear aluminum calipers use a fine thread whose part number is provided below.

Brake Caliper, Piston = 15125962
    Brake Caliper, Seal and Boot Kit = 23276875 or 179-2262
    Brake Caliper, Rear, Bleeder Screw = 88967108

These are GM Original Equipment numbers. Many thanks to Rene for confirming these numbers and providing the GM pricing for comparison. @915_Tahoe

The brake caliper bolts are 13mm and the slide pins take a 20mm wrench. The brake caliper bracket bolts have 18mm heads. The caliper bracket is supposed to have some loc-tite on it and torqued to 122 FT LBS, while the caliper bolts get torqued to 28 FT LBS. When torquing these down, you have to hold the slide pin with the 20mm wrench, but DO NOT let the wrench touch the caliper while tightening or torquing as vibration may ensue while breaking. I do not understand why, that's just what the manual says. The Brake Hose to Caliper Bolts get torqued to 30 FT LBS and has an 11mm head.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 5:09 PM
    Sam Harris likes this.