Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're lucky, they're a lot more proud of 93 around here! Mystery premium from Sam's Club is $2.65 and everyone else starts out around $3.10 and goes up to $3.65 or so. E85 is still $2.29 and $2.39 for E15. That's awesome though to drive a 400 horsepower, seven-passenger, all wheel drive truck for less then twenty cents a mile!
No doubt! We’re paying $3.15 average/ gal for “premium”, which at altitude is 91 octane. (Bastards!) E-85 is typically at $2.29.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The more alcohol content, the less the price should be. Ethanol is subsidized and should be less per gallon. That's why when the E85 price is close to the E10 price, I pass and get premium gas. Not enough ethanol in that expensive E"85" to be near what I want for ethanol content.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more alcohol content, the less the price should be. Ethanol is subsidized and should be less per gallon. That's why when the E85 price is close to the E10 price, I pass and get premium gas. Not enough ethanol in that expensive E"85" to be near what I want for ethanol content.

I think if ethanol weren't subsidized, there'd be no ethanol!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think if ethanol weren't subsidized, there'd be no ethanol!
I think you are correct.

I have seen various reports that say when it is all said and done, it takes 60-70% more energy to produce a gallon of ethanol than the amount of energy you get from it. It takes something like 130,000 btu’s of energy to produce a gallon of ethanol which only has about 80,000 btu’s of energy.

Last I recall reading, it cost about $1.70 to make a gallon of ethanol vs about $1.00 to make a gallon of gas. With that math, a gallon of E10 would have cost roughly $1.07 to produce while a gallon of E85 would cost $1.60 to produce.

Here is one article on the topic.
https://www.organicconsumers.org/sc...equired-make-ethanol-actually-ethanol-cornell

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are correct.

I have seen various reports that say when it is all said and done, it takes 60-70% more energy to produce a gallon of ethanol than the amount of energy you get from it. It takes something like 130,000 btu’s of energy to produce a gallon of ethanol which only has about 80,000 btu’s of energy.

Last I recall reading, it cost about $1.70 to make a gallon of ethanol vs about $1.00 to make a gallon of gas. With that math, a gallon of E10 would have cost roughly $1.07 to produce while a gallon of E85 would cost $1.60 to produce.

Here is one article on the topic.
https://www.organicconsumers.org/sc...equired-make-ethanol-actually-ethanol-cornell

The article assigns all the cost of harvesting corn to ethanol it seems. When the corn is processed, so much is used for ethanol, so much is used for this, so much for that, etc. There's also been a revolution in farming; when that article was written, farming methods yielded 328 gallons of ethanol per acre. In 2017 that number had risen to 507 gallons and that was three years ago. Last time we spoke on this subject, it was my understanding that Uncle Sam was no longer directly subsidizing the production of Ethanol but there was a legacy program from the previous administration and congress signed into law that gave grants to gas stations to install blender pumps and carry and sell E85 and other mixtures like E15/Unleaded 88.

I like the stuff but it should stand or fall on its own merits, not be propped up by Uncle Sam.

itsbo1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why GM isn't pushing Flex Fuel vehicles anymore? I can't a late model 6.2 anything that runs on corn anymore.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Six hour or so run in the truck today. Broke a world record; for this truck! 19.1 MPG @ 70 MPH over a 120 mile stretch of two roads. It just kept climbing and climbing a tenth every 5 miles. Of course, on the way back it just kept dropping and dropping which is odd as when you head northbound there is an ever so slight grade.

Now, what's most unusual about this is that it was not on gasoline but a mixture of 8 gallons of E85 and 18 gallons of E15 for an alcohol content of 25%. I checked the alcohol content on the outbound leg but not on the return and we did shut the engine down for about an hour. Right after refueling a few weeks ago, the AC settled down to 26% and then the next time we drove the truck several days later it was 29%. Seems she went into relearn mode after every couple of days or maybe even after each ignition cycle?

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel prices coming down, E85 is $1.79 at one local station not too far away. Lots of maintenance planned and in the works along with some mods.

Received as a gift the Inclination Sensor, 22962506. Then picked up the companion Shock Sensor from ShopChevroletParts, 17800431. They have about 298 left in stock. Procedure for installation is to call ACDelco's Techline and trade an Authorization Number that comes on the paperwork and get a VCI number in return to use for programming. Well, the people wouldn't talk to me because I didn't have a 5-digit dealer number and they were none too helpful. Finally found another number for people like me and found out that my truck's configuration had never had these accessories so there was no part number for programming. So the fella on the phone got with the engineers and they quickly got the IPC module (Instrument Panel) done and took another day (Friday) to get the Body Control Module programmed for me. Called today and notes were left in the system and the person on the phone walked me through the process. The Tech-2 has the new information loaded up but am waiting for my kids to help with the physical installation of the wiring and sensors. Should be tomorrow Lord willing.

We also plan to finally fix the passenger side mirror with the Gruven parts, exchange the transmission fluid and replace an AC actuator. Also bought some of the last GM mud flaps in the country, orders for the rears were cancelled on me 3 times and waiting confirmation still. They just look better to me than Husky and Weathertech. Want to paint the front tow hooks red.

Truck needs a bath and time to wax again too. Probably forgetting some other little projects. Hopefully we'll get them all done this week save for the mud guards, the fronts shipped with missing j-nuts/spring clips/speed nuts. Never knew these things had so many names! Two are missing and may not need them. We'll see.

In another thread I posted the results of having the transmission fluid analyzed at Blackstone Labs. It basically said the trans was in great shape but that the fluid was about wore out at 36K miles. They said I could go another 5-10K. No thanks. I bought one of those 6 gallon boxes of Dexron VI from Rock Auto (88865765/10-9167).

Third engine oil sample should come back any day now.