Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are way more analytical than I am about this. There are way too many variables for me to give any significant input on the subject.

I do know that E85 isn’t worth it for me even though it is my preferred fuel. My MPG tanks to 9.5-11.5. With E15 I’m averaging 3-4mpg higher.

It’s hard for me to keep my foot out of it since the headers have been installed. I really need to get it tuned and see what happens.

Depending on the price per gallon, E85 could cost less to drive than 93 even though your mileage is less.

For instance, if 93 costs $3.00 a gallon and you average 13.5 MPG on it, then your cost per mile to drive the truck is twenty-two cents per mile. If E85 costs $2.00 a gallon and you average 10 MPG on it, then your cost per mile to drive the truck is twenty cents a mile. That's a $6 difference over 300 miles.

Tide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on the price per gallon, E85 could cost less to drive than 93 even though your mileage is less.

For instance, if 93 costs $3.00 a gallon and you average 13.5 MPG on it, then your cost per mile to drive the truck is twenty-two cents per mile. If E85 costs $2.00 a gallon and you average 10 MPG on it, then your cost per mile to drive the truck is twenty cents a mile. That's a $6 difference over 300 miles.

I have yet to run a tank of premium through it so far.

It’s either been straight E85/E15 or a combo of the two.

Next time I fill up I’ll try a tank of premium and see how it reacts.

87b0f305f78ec30929423cbd6ee1ed4c.jpg

Looking at today’s fuel prices and a rough estimate of average MPG versus the two fuels E85 is costing me 20 cents a mile while E15 is 16 cents a mile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next time I fill up I’ll try a tank of premium and see how it reacts.

She might do better on 93 mileage wise with that price. Need to run a few tanks to get the alcohol content down though, first tank might still be in the 50% range and not deliver as much mpg as you'd expect.

Let me know how that Murphy gas is, they are not Top Tier, last time I looked, but seem like a good company and we have them around here too.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long do ball joints last? Assuming I have the OE and 143k miles.....

I made a post about that and it they seem to need replacing at around 150K. I'm at 152K and need them now, they are not leaking but rubber is cracking and some have too much movement. Inner tire wear as if the toe is out on one wheel.

Reaction score
My 2011 had to have the ball joints replaced when I bought it with 115k miles on it.

Yeah, I bought it March 2018 from a Toyota dealer in Illinois. Since I live in MO their inspection isn't valid here, so when I had it inspected to get it plated within 30 days they said it needed ball joints.

Dealership wasn't going to help me, so I did them myself, passed inspection, and got plates. A month later it was totalled by a drunk in another SUV running a red light and T-boning me.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Reaction score
So now you're well practiced! What are you doing next Saturday? LOL
Lol, I even have the ball joint press with truck adapters for the removal/installation.

I only had to do the lowers, the uppers were fine. If I had to do both uppers and lowers I would just replace the whole arm assemblies then get an alignment afterward

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck sat until yesterday and the start up state of charge was back up to 63%. I unplugged all the USB adapters and the 12v adapter for the dash cam which has red light on it.

Ok, so two tanks of gas ago I filled her up with 93 octane from Chevron and two of their bottles of Techron. That tank had a lot of idling on it but still managed an average of 15.4 MPG with an alcohol content of 12%.

Then we refueled down south at another Chevron with 93 again (6%). On the trip north to home, the MPGs were 19.3 MPG by the time we pulled into the driveway. I've NEVER EVER NEVER seen fuel economy like that in this thing. We even hit some traffic and switched highways because of an accident.

Yesterday afternoon we made the same run down south and back north again in the evening. By the time we hit the highway she was reading 18.8 and struggling to stay there at 71 mph. But when I sped up to 73-74 the mpgs quickly climbed into the 19s and arrived at Grandma's at 19.3 MPG again. Somebody pinch me!

All that testing back in '17 and '18 never revealed a hint of this. My SV6 Montana gets better mileage the faster it goes but never seen that from this truck. On the way home however, my hopes were shattered, no matter how fast or slow I drove, the average mpgs kept dropping until it read 18.0 in the driveway. Still a record though.

Truck has some leaks and weeping underneath and have been slowly collecting parts and tools to replace seals and lines while watching the fluid levels. Still not enough to even mark up the driveway. Hope to get to it soon while the weather remains cool and hopefully stays dry.

Santa Claus has thus far gifted the truck an Inclination Sensor (17800432/22962506) for Christmas.

Merry Christmas fellas!
I did say Chevron is the best last Saturday trip was 27mpg :D not too shabby for a 6.0L V8.. 98% ICE maybe like 3-4miles on the battery........

I think with a few aero mods you can get the mid 20-21 often maybe try and find a hybrid hood and front bumper....

I plan to do a few Aero mods as well I suggest getting a capacitor system as well to buffer peak electrical loads...

I found a 1500 farad @ 12volts capacitor YES a real 24 ULTRACapacitors 1500@12volts for 40$ea Premium brand name as well...(I can't say the brand yet tell i buy my units i don't want the price to spike up) these cells are not made in china,hong kong etc..

I'm going to build a 6,000 farad MEGA Capacitor Bank :eek: this will help keep the 60kw alternator from running so much for a "peak electrical spikes"

it's a real steal of a deal
XS audio wants $1100 for a 1500 Farad system....

so at 40$ it's only 0.0267¢ per farad

rather then 0.733¢Farad...

if you guys want one i'll hook you up with the information as i'm going to make a youtube video and you can bet the price is going to skyrocket for those inexpensive 1500Farad systems estimated price of 500-600$ once the "info" gets out there...

but you have to wait tell i get my units first though :p

I heard it makes the 12V batteries last longer as well.. 7-10years

i'm going to try and get this big boat to 40MPG :O

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep