Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Gas prices have been pretty low around here the past couple weeks. 93 has been around $2.39-$2.59 and E85 is still $1.99, so I'm on my second tank of 93. Boy I can really tell the performance difference (or lack there of) when getting on the highway and stuff. I don't care if I get 2-3 mpg more with 93 than E85, I'm going back to it on next fill up!

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon XL Denali
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Here is a little cheat/trick, from a class A CDL holder, to help you back up a trailer.

Place your hand at the bottom, 6 o'clock position, of the wheel when backing. If you want your trailer to go toward the drivers side, move your hand toward that side. If you want your trailer to go toward the passenger side, move your hand toward that side.

A lot of people have trouble backup up in general and when you add a trailer they are totally lost... lol
I have a Class A also, but haven't used it in a few years, excellent trick.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Gas prices have been pretty low around here the past couple weeks. 93 has been around $2.39-$2.59 and E85 is still $1.99, so I'm on my second tank of 93. Boy I can really tell the performance difference (or lack there of) when getting on the highway and stuff. I don't care if I get 2-3 mpg more with 93 than E85, I'm going back to it on next fill up!

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon XL Denali

It's funny when I here guys say this...

I can't really tell a difference in performance from E85 to 89 octane. But my truck was custom tuned for 89 octane.

I am certain that the difference between the factory 87 octane tune and E85 would be noticeable due to the fact that the KR would be substantial on 87 under WOT conditions and E85 would negate the KR due to the high octane rating (100+ depending on ethanol %).

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's funny when I here guys say this...

I can't really tell a difference in performance from E85 to 89 octane. But my truck was custom tuned for 89 octane.

I am certain that the difference between the factory 87 octane tune and E85 would be noticeable due to the fact that the KR would be substantial on 87 under WOT conditions and E85 would negate the KR due to the high octane rating (100+ depending on ethanol %).

Justin tuned mine for 93 and I feel the difference. Hear the difference, the motor idles different, throttle response is different, accelerates different and even shifts different.

What was the alcohol content you were getting Ken? It's most obvious when the alcohol content is above 70% for me.

kbuskill

Reaction score
Justin tuned mine for 93 and I feel the difference. Hear the difference, the motor idles different, throttle response is different, accelerates different and even shifts different.

What was the alcohol content you were getting Ken? It's most obvious when the alcohol content is above 70% for me.

I have had ethanol content as high as 72% if memory serves.

If you look at the factory rated specs for E85 HP VS regular HP it is only 6HP more for E85 if I remember correctly... hardly noticeable on a 5k+ LB vehicle IMO... or any vehicle short of a motorcycle really.

Perhaps I am just not as perceptive as you... who knows.

***Edit***

Yep... here it is...

rps20181206_130300_947.jpg

6HP more at 100RPM less on E85.

I would certainly hope that by tuning I gained at least 6HP.... lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know, mine being 4WD and aluminum block was de-tuned to 310 HP on gasolina by the factory.

Same here, mine was tuned by BlackBear but he didn't touch the E85 tables.

Maybe the gains are under reported? Those Gen V DI 5.3s see even greater gains.

It would be interesting to see some quarter mile times on gasoline and then on E85.

kbuskill

Reaction score
I know, mine being 4WD and aluminum block was de-tuned to 310 HP on gasolina by the factory.

Same here, mine was tuned by BlackBear but he didn't touch the E85 tables.

Maybe the gains are under reported? Those Gen V DI 5.3s see even greater gains.

It would be interesting to see some quarter mile times on gasoline and then on E85.

My E85 tables are untouched as well.

Reaction score
Maybe only 6hp greater peak, but it may have more hp throughout the curve. It would be interesting to see a dyno graph running each fuel.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon XL Denali

kbuskill

Reaction score
Maybe only 6hp greater peak, but it may have more hp throughout the curve. It would be interesting to see a dyno graph running each fuel.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon XL Denali

This is very true.

This very scenario is why the JBA shorty headers interest me so much. Something like an additional 45 ft-lbs under 2500 RPM which is where it would be the most useful on a big heavy SUV. The overall power increase isn't huge but the torque curve comes in stronger and earlier according to the independent dyno results.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is very true.

This very scenario is why the JBA shorty headers interest me so much. Something like an additional 45 ft-lbs under 2500 RPM which is where it would be the most useful on a big heavy SUV. The overall power increase isn't huge but the torque curve comes in stronger and earlier according to the independent dyno results.

That's why I also like that single pattern Crane Cam. It was one of the only camshafts that did not lose bottom end torque, in fact it made more torque on the bottom end than the high performance camshafts used during the shootout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons